Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The Experimental Histopathology Research Histotechnologist I is responsible for providing routine and customized slide-based assays to support Fred Hutchinson research efforts. This individual performs routine immunohistochemistry (IHC) using established protocols in a customer service based, team-oriented work environment. This person is also responsible for performing routine histology services with tissue preservation and processing, slide preparation, staining and imaging.
The Experimental Histopathology (EH) department provides an essential service of high quality and highly technical histology services support for Fred Hutch and external investigators. EH personnel perform all aspects of histology including tissue preservation, processing and basic to highly complex staining, digital imaging and image analysis for support of high impact research and publication. The Research Histotechnologist I will support general histology services including accession, fixation, tissue processing, paraffin embedding, microtomy, tissue freezing, cryosectioning, routine and special (histochemical) staining, and single chromagenic immunohistochemistry (DAB IHC) using established protocols. Individuals in this position are responsible for frequent communication with investigators to troubleshoot sample submission and advise on best practices to obtain high quality results.
- Perform general histology functions including accessioning, tissue freezing, cyrosectioning, fixation, trimming, processing, paraffin embedding, sectioning, routine and specialized histochemical staining. 60%
- Perform chromagenic immunohistochemistry (DAB IHC) staining using established protocols. Perform necessary calculations to accurately prepare reagents and dilutions. 15%
- Communicate with investigators on new and existing projects for general and advanced histology procedures. Use specialized histology experience and knowledge to advise on project design and troubleshoot. Use clear and concise communication skills to give sufficient project status updates and provide results at project completion. 15%
- Perform routine brightfield slide imaging using Aperio digital slide scanners. 5%
- Support general laboratory maintenance tasks as needed including reagent preparation, equipment maintenance, etc. 5%
- Bachelor's degree
- One year relevant Histology/Pathology Experience
- Strong knowledge and skill with routine histology procedures, including special staining
- Intermediate trouble shooting and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work positively in a customer oriented environment
- Ability to work moderately independently and establish priorities
- Familiarity in Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Proficiency in basic histology skills: tissue processing, embedding, microtomy, cryosectioning and routine histochemical staining
- One year IHC experience
- HT or HTL (ASCP) certification preferred
- Basic understanding of IHC methods
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must, prior to their first day of employment: Provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ; ORInitiate the accommodations process to request a religious or medical accommodation (medical accommodations require a healthcare provider's certification).
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The hourly pay range for this position is from $28.89 to $41.14 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at [email protected]
or by calling 206-667-4700.