Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Carnegie Mellon University is a private, global research university that stands among the world's most renowned education institutions. With ground-breaking brain science, path-breaking performances, creative start-ups, big ambitions, hands-on learning, and a whole lot of robots, CMU doesn't imagine the future, we invent it. If you're passionate about joining a community that challenges the curious to deliver work that matters, your journey starts here.
As a university dedicated to excellence and leadership in digital research and technologies, CMU is a leader in using digital solutions that reflect its reputation. Its digital "front door," the university website, cmu.edu, should be no different. The digital maturity of our website visitors is continuously evolving and a global pandemic has only increased our reliance on digital technology, and users are quick to turn their attention to a better, faster, well-designed web space.
The Computing Services central IT department at CMU partners with our University Communications and Marketing team to provide the Content Management systems that enable the digital "front door" of the university, and we are seeking a Developer to join our growing Content Management Systems team. The right candidate will have good technical skills and be a great teammate to ensure the consistent delivery of quality solutions to our campus Partners.
As a Developer on the CMS team, you work within an agile development team and will be responsible for designing and implementing new features and functionality and have an opportunity to lead many technical aspects of the CMS. You will work collaboratively with our campus partners to design solutions that enhance the digital outreach systems for an elite organization.
Inclusion and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who can effectively interact with a varied population of diverse audiences. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
This is a great opportunity for someone to work in a creative, dedicated, driven team, in a collaborative environment committed to technical innovation, inclusion, and work-life balance.
- Participate directly in the development, testing, and deployment of an innovative content management platform-as-a-service on Drupal 9 which powers part of the university's web presence
- Use PHP, server scripting, along with a strong understanding of integration between systems to create and maintain the infrastructure that supports our applications as well as our development process
- Build interactive pipelines so that our development team can review, test, and deploy changes to production environments. Work at all levels of development but with a focus on developing new features and our development and deployment processes (e.g. automated testing, CI/CD, custom tooling)
- Explore advanced concepts including accessibility, application performance, API development, containerization, and more
- Maintain documentation
- Other duties as assigned
- PHP and content management systems. Ideally Drupal / Symphony systems.
- RHEL server integration and development
- Familiarity with AWS and cloud platforms
- Understanding of the web development space
- System and service integration
- Creating development workflows and tooling
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Information Science
- At least 2 years of development experience in relevant projects
- A combination of education and relevant experience from which comparable knowledge is demonstrated may be considered.
- Successful background check.
- Must be able to travel to on- and off-campus locations as requested; evening and weekend hours may be required.
Interested in this exciting opportunity? Apply today!
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Web Design and Graphic Services
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance