Associate Vice President of Crisis Management & Continuity
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Internal Number: 4997624
Associate Vice President of Crisis Management & Continuity
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Vice President of Global Safety and Security, the Assoc VP - Crisis Management & Continuity serves as the University's incident commander for all events and occurrences that impact the operations of NU anywhere in the world. Responsibilities include:
- Initiate, lead, and administer the University's response to such events in coordination with all relevant internal functions along with local, federal, and international resources to resolve the factors creating the disruption and return all impacted area of the university's enterprise to normal operations.
Ensure that all incidents is documented appropriately, and that communication is maintained throughout the incident response with university decision makers; work closely the NU Emergency Management, Global Safety, and other functions to author and/or optimize policies, procedures and measures aimed at reducing the probability of operational disruptions.
- Create - along with the Emergency Manager - after-action reports related to all events requiring an organizational response. Synthesize feedback and produce recommendations based on what is produced from the after-action process to university leadership for consideration. Lead work teams of internal NU functions to implement new strategies and processes related to increasing the continuity of the all operations of the university system.
Proven knowledge, skills and ability in emergency preparedness, incident management, and business continuity .
Preparation, education and/or experience in incident containment and emergency response - specific experience with business continuity in a global setting and/or complex systems preferred.
Required skills include verbal /written communication skills; leadership skills, interpersonal skills, consensus building; organizational skills and attention to detail
Maturity and operational problem solving/decision making capabilities
Ability to function effectively in stressful and complex situations as well as competing priorities and deadlines
Proven project management skills including experience leading dynamic projects, setting realistic goals, and delivering quality work products
Knowledge and skills required for this position are typically obtained through a Bachelor's degree (master's degree preferred) and at least 10 years' experience.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1) Program Management Will work with university leadership to assess security needs, develop strategic direction to enhance operational resiliency, and implement action plans to address institutional continuity. With support from the Emergency Management and Global Safety will write, review, and update policies and procedures for the NU incident response program. Will integrate the incident response program with related initiatives, such as risk management, IT Security, University Planning, and campus expansion efforts.
2) Project Management Manage various new and ongoing security enhancement and business continuity projects. Develops and communicates project plans and timelines to the appropriate stakeholders, while taking mitigation steps to anticipate delays.
3) Trainings, Exercises, and Equipment In collaboration with Emergency Management and Global Safety, will design, execute, and evaluate NU training and exercises including testing of department plans according to program standards. Will develops effective tools to support ongoing understanding of business continuity metrics, principles and practices throughout the organization.
4) Emergency Response Will participate in response to incidents that require Emergency Preparedness oversight. Will convene and lead response groups, interact with senior leadership, and provide other support as necessary. Acts as the primary incident commander. Support recovery efforts following Emergency Operations Plan activations. Will participate in the development of after-action reviews, after-action reports, and improvement plans that advance the organization's emergency preparedness.
5) Liaison Interfaces with stakeholders across NU, and with outside partners as necessary.
Participates in and helps coordinate research efforts in the field of global organization emergency preparedness and business continuity. Works to develop best practices and to enhance the field. Attends seminars, benchmarks with other institutions, and obtains resource material for review
Safety and Security
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a private research university located in the heart of Boston. Northeastern is a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement, and interdisciplinary research that meets global and societal needs. Our broad mix of experience-based education programs?our signature cooperative education program, as well as student research, service learning, and global learning?build the connections that enable students to transform their lives. The University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools.