A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research (MICHR) is the home of the University of Michigan’s Clinical and Translational Science Award from the National Institutes of Health. MICHR is part of a national, collaborative consortium that is focused on bringing more treatments to all patients more quickly by advancing clinical and translational science (CTS). The field of CTS aims to build an evidence base of scientific and operational approaches that improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and impact of translational research across a range of diseases and conditions. MICHR has the unique charge of examining the translational research ecosystem at a systems level to determine where common pitfalls exist; developing novel solutions to these challenges; demonstrating their effectiveness; and disseminating improvements widely. MICHR is a dynamic organization that serves as a hub of innovation and experimentation to advance research in the science of translation and accelerate the realization of interventions that improve human health.
MICHR is seeking an experienced professional to serve as a full-stack Java software engineer for the Informatics Program. Informatics is a singular unit within the Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research (MICHR) that facilitates translational science for the University of Michigan. The program is uniquely positioned to harness the power of digital assets by making them interoperable for research, ensuring data security, and implementing innovative informatics solutions by developing and supporting novel web-based and database-backed software systems, all with the goal of improving human health.
At MICHR, you will contribute towards wider redevelopment of existing applications and development of new applications. Existing applications facilitate organizational metrics collection and reporting, and research patient recruitment. Some of those applications are public facing internet applications subject to stringent regulations with complex requirements.
Additionally, we seek a full-stack Java software engineer with knowledge in all stages of developing web applications from release engineering, database development, backend web services to front-end development. In addition to programming, you will be expected to execute diverse set of tasks ranging from requirements gathering, delivery automation to supporting the application in production state.
Perks and benefits you can look forward to:
• 2:1 match on retirement savings.
• Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage starting on day one of employment.
• Generous paid time off for vacation, holidays, and sick time.
• Meet coding deliverables in line with project release plan.
• Commitment to Test Driven Development (TDD) and agile software development principles.
• Pair programming with other development team members as well as programming alone.
• You will contribute to improving code integrity and organization.
• Research and evaluate technologies that enhance the efficiency, security, and accessibility of our
sites and applications.
user sees and interacts with on a website.
• On the back-end, you will develop the application, services, and database that make up the
foundational structure of a website. You will also work on automating software delivery and
system administration tasks related to software delivery.
• You will work with Business Analysts and customers to understand/clarify requirements and
prepare designs for translating those into software components.
• Draw diagrams (UML, E-R, Data Flow etc.) to communicate software design to technical and
• You will partner with designers and convert designs to visual elements.
• You will provide customer services including educating, assisting, following through actively when
solving problems or refining requirements.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related field or equivalent experience.
• Two years’ experience in Java development.
• 3 years of analysis/programming activities in a business environment.
• This position is being offered as a hybrid position. There will be times that it will be appropriate
for you to work from home. There will be other times that you will be required to work onsite.
production grade software.
• Strong object-oriented design fundamentals.
• An understanding of what RESTful web services.
• API design and development.
• Experience with Spring & Hibernate.
• Experience with testing frameworks such as Junit, Mockito, DbUnit, Selenium etc.
• Experience with release engineering (continuous integration, configuration management,
Linux/Unix scripting etc).
• Experience with relational database technologies such as Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server
PostgreSQL, and proficiency in SQL.
• Willingness to program in multiple languages.
• Willingness to work on build automation, devops related projects.
• JS-based build tools like npm, Webpack.
• Libraries like jQuery or Backbone.js.
• CSS preprocessors like Sass or LESS.
• Front-end (CSS) frameworks like Foundation or Bootstrap.
• 3 to 5 years of analysis/programming activities in a business environment.
MICHR DEIA Statement:
MICHR is firmly committed to advancing Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and belonging which are core values at MICHR and the Office of Research. Our community supports recruiting and cultivating a diverse workforce, as it reflects our commitments to serve the diverse people of Michigan and beyond. We strive to create a work culture where every team member feels respected, valued, and safe.
Under FLSA, this is the exempt job classification for this title. Incumbents in this position must meet the full criteria for exempt status: salary level, salary basis, and duties tests.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.