To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or [email protected].
Job Description Summary
The Graphic Design Specialist (GDS) working in University Marketing and Communications (UMC) must have a deep understanding of the principles of design, a passion for good design and the technical capabilities to bring those designs to life. They should strive for excellence and appreciate constructive criticism.
The GDS will take initiative and work well both independently, as well as part of a multidisciplinary team of designers, writers, videographers, photographers, and coders. They are an expert communicator, detail-driven and respect process.
As part of the visual team, reporting to the Creative Director the GDS will bring Michigan Tech’s brand to life through a variety of print materials including admissions pieces, university marketing materials, large scale signage, and more, as well as have the opportunity to design for web, social media and video. You will be encouraged to develop your craft and grow professionally.
About University Marketing and Communications (UMC): UMC is a team of strategy-first brand champions. We communicate Michigan Tech voices, opportunities, and experiences to the entire world. Academic departments, divisions, institutes, and organizations collaborate with UMC to promote undergraduate and graduate student enrollment, cultivate alumni affinity and support, and position our faculty researchers as leading scholars.
**Applicants must clearly provide a link to an online portfolio in resume.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
• Get to know the university: connect and communicate with everyone in the organization, talk to people and understand the structure of Michigan Tech’s colleges and departments. Actively engage in campus community initiatives and events—You’ll be a Husky afterall! • Be a valuable teammate to everyone in UMC by solving creative problems, communicating ideas and concepts, supporting others with creative assets, and delivering quality work • Consistently create eye-catching graphics and engaging designs for print and digital media • Perform prep work such as layout, formatting, color correcting, and preparing files for printers or the web • Take ownership of the creative elements of projects from start to finish • Participate in project kickoff meetings offering creative design solutions. Discuss client needs and requirements with various internal stakeholders and provide information, knowledge and expertise regarding publication processes • Collaborate closely with the project manager helping to build timelines, organize assets and define the parameters of a project. Identify and communicate road-blocks and offer creative solutions • Engross yourself in our photo archives. Collaborate with the photography team to identify, locate or capture the best assets for the project • Create and maintain files in an organized manner to aid in team collaboration and file sharing • Be a brand ambassador: understand it, utilize it, and enforce it • Possess a love of creative collaboration and ideation. Be an active member of the visual team brainstorming ideas, sharing inspiration, creating mock-ups and effectively communicating creative ideas • Work with minimal supervision and balance multiple projects while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment • Be a savvy communicator with an understanding of how to utilize all communication platforms including Slack, Monday.com, email, Zoom and phone effectively. • Be passionate about design and stay current on the latest design trends. • Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives. • Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
• Associate's Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in graphic design or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and corporate, agency or higher education experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• 2+ years of professional print design experience working in a corporate environment, agency or higher education. • Expert skills designing with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator and a portfolio to support it. • Expert skills with design and layout using Adobe InDesign and a portfolio to support it.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in graphic design or a related field and 2+ years of professional experience in corporate, agency or higher education.
• Expert skills Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign and the portfolio to support it • An understanding of the elements of good design including color, composition, visual hierarchy, and typography and the portfolio to support it • Possess an understanding of branding and values consistency within a brand and the portfolio to support it. • Possess the ability to create eye-catching graphics and engaging designs, layouts and graphics that follow brand guidelines and the portfolio to support it. • Possess the ability to create multi-page layouts such as annual reports, newsletters, and magazines and the portfolio to support it. • Possess high-level creative communication skills using a variety of platforms including Zoom, Slack, email and phone. • Possess an understanding of the print production workflow and client review process including designing options, revising as needed with attention to detail and delivering files on schedule • Respect and understanding for process. Familiar with file organization techniques and backup files in an organized manner to aid in team collaboration and efficient file sharing. • Follow creative direction and possess a high level of attention to detail when making revisions. • Have pride in the success of a project and the satisfaction of the team and the client. • Be a self-starter with the ability to work independently, troubleshoot and seek solutions from multiple sources. • Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff. • Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment. • Remote candidates must commit to full-time work status completing 40 hours/week, with the majority of that work happening between 8-5pm EST. Some flexibility is available with supervisor approval. Some travel required.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
• Experience designing advertisements for print, digital and large format • Experience with illustration • Experience creating accessible documents in InDesign • Experience with motion graphics and/or creating animated GIFs • Experience designing content for social media
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Negotiable. No less than $50,000.
Title of Position Supervisor
Internal & External Posting
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Applicants must clearly provide a link to an online portfolio in resume.
Remote considered. Remote candidates must commit to full-time work status completing 40 hours/week, with the majority of that work happening between 8-5pm EST. Some flexibility is available with supervisor approval. Some travel required.
Michigan Tech is an internationally renowned doctoral research university located in Houghton, MI in Michigan's scenic Upper Peninsula, on the south shore of Lake Superior.
Please visit www.mtu.edu/umc for more information on University Marketing and Communications
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.