Academic Program Specialist - Residency Programs Coordinator
University of Southern California (USC)
Location: Los Angeles, California
Internal Number: REQ20118748
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the "Trojan Family" comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university a unique place.
The USC School of Pharmacy is seeking a Residency Programs Coordinator to join its team.Â The Residency Programs Coordinator will assist the Director of Residency Programs with program/project management tasks associated with the USC Pharmacy Residency Programs.
The USC Pharmacy Residency Programs currently consists of six postgraduate year 1 and 2 programs and three affiliated residency programs, for an average of 35 residents annually. In addition to residents, this position will also work closely with Residency Program Directors, preceptors, and other faculty involved with the residency programs through the teaching certificate program. Major responsibilities of this position involve both project management and administrative tasks.
This position, in collaboration with the Director of Residency Programs, will ensure compliance with the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) residency accreditation standards including the management of preceptor development. Additionally, this position will provide support for the resident teaching certificate program by managing the evaluation process for residents, faculty advisors, resident teaching mentors, and course coordinators and assisting program leadership with other tasks as designated.
The Residency Programs Coordinator will also assist the Director of Residency Programs in activities which promote the residency programs on local, state, and national levels including event planning and coordination, outreach and marketing to perspective residency candidates and others, and compiling, preparing, and maintaining data to demonstrate program outcomes. This position will also manage tasks related to the employment of the residents which are administrative in nature.
Skills and Abilities:
- Expertise in project and/or program management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent computer literacy: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint
- Proficiency in using common video meeting platforms, e.g., Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Webex
- Experience with learning management systems, e.g., Blackboard Highly organized with a high degree of attention to detail
- Ability to follow and communicate complex instructions and directions.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and schedule multiple work assignments
- Ability to follow-up and resolve problems arising from routine situationsÂ
- Ability to analyze and present data in graphs and spreadsheets
- Ability to promote programs using social media and other forums
- Ability to collaborate effectively with others and take initiative when appropriate
- Good public relations -- good interpersonal skills with trainees, preceptors, and pharmacy leaders. Highly professional demeanor, ability to provide good representation of USC to outside sources and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelorâs Degree coupled with a minimum of two years experience working in program and/or project management Formal program and/or project management training highly desired
- Experience working with accredited postgraduate training programs in educational and/or healthcare settings strongly preferred
Essential Job Functions of Job Description:
- Assist with compliance with ASHP accreditation standards for all residency programs including:
- Â Tracking status of compliance with each standard for each individual residency program
- Â Monitoring work in progress related to standards and ensuring timelines for completion are met
Â - Managing all centralized processes for the USC Pharmacy Residency Programs including preceptor development
Â - Reviewing twice yearly updates made to the ASHP accreditation standards and noting the impacted standards for review by the Director of Â Â Residency Programs
Â - Maintaining the residency programs shared drive including the standards tracking spreadsheet and related documents
Â - Compiling reports required for submission to maintain and/or achieve ASHP program accreditation and/or to support compliance with theÂ Â Â Â standards
Â - Providing support to the Residency Program Directors, as directed by the Director of Residency Programs, for tasks associated with the individual residency programs that are related to the ASHP accreditation standards
Â - Performing other tasks associated with maintaining ASHP accreditation as assigned
- Assist with the resident teaching certificate program including:
- Managing the evaluation process for residents, faculty advisors, resident teaching mentors, and course coordinators
- Scheduling rooms and assisting with technology and room needs including setting up and managing virtual sessions as needed
- Coordinating parking for non-USC residents and guest speakers
- Maintaining the learning management system site used for the teaching certificate program
- Following up with residents and involved faculty, as needed, to ensure program deadlines are met
- Performing other tasks related to the management of the teaching certificate program as directed
- Plan and coordinate events including residency showcases, open houses, banquets, residency candidate interviews, and seminars
- Assist in outreach and marketing efforts related to the recruitment of residents and promotion of the USC Pharmacy Residency Programs including maintenance of the webpage and social media accounts in coordination with Communications and Marketing
- In conjunction with other USC School of Pharmacy offices (e.g., Human Resources), manage tasks related to the employment of residents including the onboarding process, processing reimbursement requests, closing out residents who have finished residency training and other employee-related issues that are of an administrative nature
- Other program/project management or administrative tasks as assigned
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree. Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 2 years. Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum experience Minimum Field of Expertise: Experience in higher education and/or customer service. Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills for interacting with both domestic and international stakeholders. Demonstrated attention to detail. Proven ability to plan, implement, and coordinate program logistics. Demonstrated database/data entry experience. Proven project management and problem solving skills, able to handle multiple timelines, changing priorities, and fluctuating workloads.
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations. As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.