The Space Data Manager is responsible for organizing and executing efforts for the continuous maintenance of digital plans, models and GIS space database for buildings controlled by Lehigh University. The position also serves as subject matter expert in data governance, analysis, visualization, reporting and related inquiries regarding interior space management. Working under limited supervision, the Space Data Manager will collaborate with stakeholders across Lehigh University to provide informed space planning metrics for advancing LU leadership strategy and decision-making, overseeing nearly five million square feet, and growing, of educational, research, residential and administrative space on campus.
This position plays a key role in larger LU Facilities Planning initiatives by working together with team members toward the integration of space information, GIS and LU Facilities digital archives. The Space Data Manager collaborates with stakeholders across the University to collect current, accurate space data through an annual online space audit (space validation project) with the goal of converting this annual update to a live data set/process.
1. Management of Space Data: *Manages and is the primary contact for Leigh University (LU) Facilities space data; creates, maintains and analyzes accessible, retrievable computer archives and databases, incorporating current advances in electronic information technology associated with campus planning and construction activities *Integrates Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data using Cartegraph InVision FMS, a space management software solution in order to develop, populate and maintain an accurate, enterprise-wide system of campus interior space and assets of 160+ buildings and over 4.5 million square feet of interior building space *Responsible for continuous updating and maintenance of the authoritative geospatial framework for campus interior space and makes these geospatial data more accessible across the University to support a variety of planning and departmental functions and initiatives *Analyzes, designs and supports workflows for collecting, updating and maintaining the quality and accuracy of interior geospatial data *Ensures that space data is collected for all University property *Performs QA/QC of space data collected for data inconsistencies, missing data or incomplete surveys *Manages user submissions of departmental data and enforces timely completion through follow up and regular communications *Develops, conducts, compiles and reports the annual space inventory audits for the University; uses the PA Dept. of Ed. Physical Facilities Inventory System to classify building data *Develops related training materials, provides assistance and trains staff as needed *Updates and verifies floor plan (bookplan) drawings of all campus buildings from sketches given by designers, project managers and building managers, as well as taking actual field measurements *Provides graphic and drawing services primarily utilizing both CAD and GIS software *Maintains an ongoing history of the University's space usage *Preserves and organizes archival records and develops classification systems to facilitate access to materials *Networks with GIS and CAD professionals to monitor trends in facilities space and data management *Attends professional development seminars and conferences
2. Planning Support: *Communicates space and building data to various departments; integrates facilities data, information and archives with department-wide and campus-wide building data initiatives *Compiles and provides space and building data for various regulatory or informational surveys and reports including the STARs report, National Science Foundation (NSF), Leapfrog Course Catalog, Interactive Campus Map, etc. *Utilizes design knowledge and problem-solving skills to develop space fit plans in AutoCAD or GIS for small department modifications and relocations, as well as test fits for larger projects being considered at the programming and feasibility level
3. Technical Support for LU Facilities *Provide database, graphic and online systems support related to general technology *Researches, evaluates, and solicits quotes for new graphics software such as CAD, GIS, reporting and graphic conversion software, as well as ensuring compatibility of programs. Researches required specialized office equipment and supplies *Acts as Computer Liaison for LU Facilities by attending meetings with Library and Technology Services (LTS) and sharing general technical information with LU Facilities staff *Creates and manages standards for use and operation of specialized equipment such as scanner, plotter, and printer *Creates training materials and provides training and assistance as required *Provides reference services and assistance for users needing archival materials
4. Supervise Work Study and Wage Students: *Guide, support, and supervise work study students in maintaining and enhancing LU Facilities data *Interviews and hires Lehigh work study students for positions in LU Facilities *Coordinates schedules for work study students *Trains students in AutoCAD, GIS, database management and data library standards (archiving and formatting drawings). *Prioritizes, delegates and reviews student work. Monitors and reviews performance and quality of student work *Maintains files on all student and temporary applicants - I9, W2, Identifications, etc.
5. Effective Communication and Interpersonal Skills: *Interfaces regularly with University staff and project stakeholders regarding planning and data management activities *Utilizes a variety of written and graphic techniques to communicate information *Creates spreadsheets, reports and other graphic materials *Shares information in a supportive, timely and transparent manner *Assists in the overall efficient functioning of the department
Position Number: S77650
The duties of this position may allow the employee to work partially remote as deemed appropriate by their supervisor
This position is a two year term position
This position is funded by soft dollars; there is no severance associated with this position
This position works with minors
Will nearly continuously use hands and arms to reach, feel and handle objects
Will often be required to walk, stand, sit, kneel, crouch, crawl, lift up to 50 pounds, work near moving mechanical parts, in wet or humid non weather conductions
Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Data Science, Interior Design, Architecture, a related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience
Five to eight years of increasing responsibility within a facilities planning department; involving data management preferred
Experience with the software programs preferred: AutoCAD, ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Desktop, Enterprise Cloud Applications, Python Programming, BIM, SQL Server, Crystal Reports, Microsoft Office and graphing programs
Experience with space data management, enterprise data sets, building floor plan conventions, preferably in higher education setting
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Solid computer skills with experience using word processing, spreadsheet and database software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
All Lehigh faculty and staff are required to be fully vaccinated and receive a booster shot six months after their second vaccine; unless they receive an approved medical or religious exemption from the requirement.
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.