Banner Health believes leadership matters. We look for leaders who share our vision making health care easier, so life can be better. Our executives are at the forefront of the health care transformation, planning the future of Banner Health.
We are conducting a national search for CEO of Banner Medical Group. Reporting directly to the system President & Chief Operating Officer, in this critical role you will have overall accountability for producing top results associated with culture, service excellence, quality clinical outcomes, market share expansion, and financial integrity of operations for Banner Medical Group. This role is highly visible across the system and collaborating and fostering relationships amongst medical staff, physicians, leaders, employees, volunteers, external agencies, and the community is crucial to success. You will be integral to help link consumers to our Banner network of care and support our value-based care goals.
Medical Doctorate or Doctor of Osteopathy Degree required. Must be eligible for or hold a current State license to practice medicine and be eligible for medical staff privileges.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. This opportunity includes the option to participate in a variety of health, financial, and security benefits. In addition, this position may be eligible for our Management Incentive Program as part of your Total Rewards package.At Banner Medical Group, you'll have the opportunity to perform a critical role in the community where you practice. Banner Medical Group provides both primary and specialty care throughout the communities in which Banner Health operates. We do this in a variety of settings - from smaller group practices like our Banner Health Clinics in Colorado and Wyoming, to large multi-specialty Banner Health Centers in the metropolitan Phoenix area. We currently have more than 1,000 physicians and more than 3,500 total employees in our group and are seeking others to enhance our ability to deliver our nonprofit mission of providing excellent patient care.
This position has overall accountability for producing desired results associated with culture, patient experience, quality clinical outcomes, market share maintenance/expansion, and financial integrity of operations for Banner Medical Group that include clinics, health centers, hospitals, health plans, and/or physician networks, ancillary care networks, sub-acute care networks.
This position is highly visible across the organization and participates in system-level leadership activities involving the development and implementation of policies and practices; development and management of growth and improvement plans; efficient utilization of resources; acquisition of technology; and program development. This position is responsible for developing and fostering positive relationships with all constituents including medical staff, physicians, leaders, employees, volunteers, external agencies, and the community. This leadership position is also responsible for the development of short and long-term plans for carrying out the goals and objectives of the System as developed by the Board of Directors. This position serves as a change agent and drives culture, supporting and modeling a service-oriented, consumer-centric culture, focused on patient safety and the overall patient experience. This position serves as the principal link between hospital and medical group activities and the community, local Boards, and medical staff.
Leads the design, development, and implementation of Banner Medical Group???s services throughout the system and provides strategic direction and leadership ensuring alignment with Banner???s overall mission, values, and strategic plan.??
1. Service. Maintains a service excellence, consumerism, and healing culture with high expectations established for positive patient experiences. This culture should create an environment that results in high patient and employee retention and engagement. This service excellence culture includes ongoing and meaningful communication with employees to ensure that all staff members are well informed and recognized appropriately. ??
2. Quality. Advances Banner Medical Group by ensuring operations that are based on current industry standards, best practices, and with a focus on outcome performance. ??Serves as a leader in developing the Continuous Quality Improvement process.?? Strategizes and drives process improvements focused on innovative care delivery and operational models designed to improve clinical services, outcomes, patient throughput, and patient safety. Implements, through management and leadership staff, a Patient Safety Plan that: fosters an environment that focuses on processes and outcomes rather than individual blame; ensures that safety is a priority in design and redesign of new services; allocates financial, informational, physical, and human resources for improvement activities; and assures patient and family disclosure of ???untoward outcomes.???
3. Finance. Directs and oversees financial stewardship for Banner Medical Group services throughout the system with an emphasis on providing efficient utilization of resources, achieving appropriate operating margins, and making appropriate decisions pertinent to capital and technology acquisition (maximizing return on investment). Develops, reviews, and monitors financial and performance outcomes to assure attainment of organizational objectives established by System leadership and the Board of Directors. Maintains an effective budgeting and capital planning discipline in conjunction with operational management to ensure planned revenues, expenses, and/or profit goals are met. Develops and implements productivity action plans to meet productivity benchmarks.
4. Workforce. Directs, oversees, and evaluates the Banner Medical Group team.?? Focuses on achieving recruitment and retention goals.?? Develops and maintains positive relations with the medical staff, physicians, leaders, employees, regulatory agencies, contractors, payers, and other applicable parties, ensuring and fostering a high level of collaboration within a highly-matrixed team environment in order to coordinate activities, review work, exchange information, and resolve problems. Promotes collaboration and integration of the Banner Medical Group and the System. Serves as a liaison to the medical staff leadership and to the medical staff committees.
5. Regulatory Compliance.??Oversees the development, implementation, and consistent application of effective organizational policies and practices. Participates in maintaining an effective internal control environment to ensure that assets are safeguarded, policies and operating procedures are followed, necessary controls are effective and efficient, proper compliance with existing laws and regulations achieved, and operations comply with the legal and regulatory parameters in which it operates.
6. Strategy. Provides leadership and actively participates in the development and implementation of strategic, tactical, program and operational planning. Utilizes forecasting and planning processes to identify capital and technology acquisitions and program development opportunities which achieve desired growth, ensuring the delivery of services that are responsive to the needs of the community. Positively represents the organization in the community and/or with various national, regional, and/or local entities, garnering desired support in order to enhance program development. This position requires the skill to negotiate.
7.Decision Support.??Available as requested to develop, implement, and report to the Board on strategic initiatives, outcomes, and measurements. Reviews, prepares, analyzes, and presents reports and recommendations to senior management regarding operations and/or other applicable areas of interest to provide concise and accurate information that aids in decision making.
8. Relationships. Maintains on-going communication with employees, leaders, and physicians to ensure that the staff is well informed in regards to the strategic direction and culture of the System to foster a high level of collaborationbetween the medical groups. Conducts routine employee forums to inform and keep abreast of the issues that employees are facing and ensures that issues are addressed timely and appropriately to avoid third-party intervention. Promotes and models positive relationships among various entities to achieve optimal results. Partners with System leadership on strategic and operational issues on a regional and system-wide level.
9. Innovation.??Directs the development and integration of new and innovative operations and/or services by providing leadership that maximizes management team???s contributions and assures timely decision-making reflective of the mission, vision, and values of the system.??Optimize use of innovative and digital technologies to improve the patient and physician experience and reduce labor costs.
Leans into Value-Based Care
10. Risk based reimbursement.??Banner Health owns a health plan and has developed multiple risk-based relations with payers to promote population health in its community.?? The Banner Medical Group must evolve with the growing value-based reimbursement and its leader must align compensation structures, data review and engagement to keep our Banner network healthy.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
Banner Health Leadership will strive to uphold the mission, values, and purpose of the organization. They will serve as role models for staff and act in a people-centered, service excellence-focused, and results-oriented manner.
Medical Doctorate or Doctor of Osteopathy Degree required with appropriate Board Certification or qualification and level of expertise typically gained through five years??? experience in clinical practice and a minimum of one year CMO experience in the relevant setting.
Must be eligible for or hold a current State license to practice medicine and be eligible for medical staff privileges.
Must demonstrate expert-level knowledge and awareness of area of expertise in designated facility, business entity or area and/or experience in which the knowledge, skills, and abilities are directly transferrable. Proven track record of driving successful performance outcomes and accomplishing organizational goals. Must demonstrate skills and business acumen through direct leadership experiences such as: Anticipating and responding to the needs of internal and external customers; managing a budget and financial plans; building partnerships with management, staff, and stakeholders to achieve department goals and objectives; managing problems and situations where uncertainty is inherent; persuading others to adopt a particular stance on an issue; developing and evaluating best practices and emerging trends for organizational applicability and appropriateness; constructing new and innovative solutions for complex and varying problems and situations while considering the larger perspective or context; mentoring and coaching staff by providing open and honest feedback to enhance performance; developing and implementing strategic goals and initiatives that support organizational success; demonstrating excellent human relations, organizational and communication skills; demonstrating a passion about continuously improving and providing high quality care and service excellence to customers, patients, families, employees and/or physicians.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Board Certified American College of Healthcare Executives Fellow (FACHE) credential preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.