The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Project Manager will understand, coordinate, and support projects across the Office for Equity and Diversity (OED). This role provides coordination and support to the Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity and engages with unit managers and staff across the OED to ensure timely project deliverables are met and in alignment with OED and institutional DEI strategic goals and priorities. The DEI Project Manager manages highly complex project plans that requires directing the work of the team, with some authority on actions and decisions. Projects may require detailed planning with teams internal and external to the unit. Duties involve efforts specifically designed to diversify the faculty and staff workforce as well as the student population, with emphasis on equity gaps in representation, which directly supports student success including greater educational outcomes and higher levels of complex thinking.
Project Management/Administration/Leadership: - Administer comprehensive DEI project management support services by using critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and tracking to develop and maintain an ongoing master DEI project plan to coordinate efforts and prioritize activities across components of the OED unit and university DEI partners (individuals organized in support of DEI such as councils, committees, working groups, cross functional teams, strategic planning efforts, college/unit DEI liaisons, etc.)
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with college/unit DEI liaisons and track and coordinate DEI college/unit level activities, as appropriate
- Collaborate effectively across the unit and with external partners around project planning to meet OED strategic objectives, budget and schedule; identify and determine gaps in project planning and execution, and recommend changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness for the individual and the office
- Lead project management activities, as assigned (plan and coordinate specific project planning and implementation steps and tasks, track progress, ensure projects are completed according to schedule and approved budget, evaluate/assess effectiveness, provide routine updates to the Associate Provost, etc.)
- Ensure project accountability by tracking progress of OED and institutional strategic DEI efforts using demonstrated project management best practices skills
- Develop and maintain an online project management tracking system that documents the specific project planning steps and implementation activities and tracks the progress of activities and deliverables for projects led or supported by OED, while ensuring projects are completed according to schedule and approved budget
- Maintain accurate project status documentation with timely updates
- Provide regular project progress status reports of planning steps and implementation activities to the Associate Provost for projects led by or directly supported by OED
- Attend all meetings of DEI committees/groups and document informational updates, discussion, and action items from meetings
- Lead coordination of the details (logistics) to support OED and university DEI committees/groups
Project Consultation: - Collaborate with staff across the unit, DEI committees/groups, and external partners to understand project needs and problems
- Provide direction and assistance in the preparation of project proposals, schedule, estimates, and budgets for proposed projects
- Develop and maintain collaborative work relationships with OED staff, DEI committees/groups, and external partners to resolve issues and/or steer project progress in order to achieve agreed project targets with regards to timeline, scope and budget with an emphasis on mutually beneficial resolutions and progress as needed
- Apply critical thinking and knowledge of best practices to provide direction about the evaluation, analysis, and development of solutions to resolve operational project development and implementation issues and to operationalize strategies, solutions and resources that further DEI initiatives and strategic goals as outlined
Research/Professional Knowledge: - Research and identify promising best practices in DEI for higher education
- Use analytical and critical thinking skills to interpret and apply metrics, research, and trends and recommend best practice actionable programs to improve DEI efforts in higher education
- Develop reports and associated materials to share research and analysis insights
Position is contingent upon available funding.
Special Instructions To Application:
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. Applicants should submit (1) a cover letter that outlines how their experience and qualifications specifically align to this position, (2) a curriculum vitae/resume, and (3) a list of three references, including contact information, online.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Master's degree; or bachelor's degree and two years of relevant experience; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Full time or Part time: Full Time
Position Location (city): Greenville
Position Number: 930195
Organizational Unit Overview:
The Office for Equity and Diversity provides leadership to the university's efforts to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. The office promotes equity in educational opportunity, programming and employment and promotes an environment of diversity, respect and inclusion for all members of the university community.
To be a national model for student success, public service and regional transformation, East Carolina University uses innovative learning strategies and delivery methods to maximize access; prepares students with the knowledge, skills and values to succeed in a global, multicultural society; develops tomorrow's leaders to serve and inspire positive change; discovers new knowledge and innovations to support a thriving future for eastern North Carolina and beyond; transforms health care, promotes wellness, and reduces health disparities; and improves qualify of life through cultural enrichment, academics, the arts, and athletics. We accomplish our mission through education, research, creative activities, and service while being good stewards of the resources entrusted to us. East Carolina University delivers on the promise of opportunity. We open doors. We improve lives. We transform the present, and we discover the future. In these ways and more, we serve our community, our state, our nation and our world as together we reach toward our greatest potential. Tomorrow starts here.