Patient Care Coordinator Cancer Center Integrative Clinic
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Type: Full Time
Internal Number: R52752
Good health care is key to a good life. At Banner Health, we understand that, and that's why we work hard every day to make a difference in people's lives. We've united under a common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. It's a lofty goal, but it's one we're committed to seeing through. Do you like the idea of making a positive change in people's lives - and your own? If so, this could be the perfect opportunity for you. Apply now.
When facing a cancer diagnosis, a common question is, "where can I go for help?" The answer is Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center. By partnering with MD Anderson, one of the nation's leading cancer centers, Banner Health's cancer care includes outstanding cancer programs that integrate the latest in research, education and prevention. All Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center locations in Arizona and Colorado provide care based on the same protocols and practice standards provided at MD Anderson in Houston. We believe patient care is most effective when it's truly collaborative. Our evidence-based, multidisciplinary approach brings together physicians from all cancer specialties to provide highly coordinated and compassionate care. Our cancer experts include medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, physician specialists, nurses and clinical support staff. A vital member of the team includes our clinical nurse navigators who work closely with patients, guiding them through their first visit and serving as a single point of contact throughout their care. From prevention to treatment and beyond, no matter where our patients are on their cancer journey, the team at Banner MD Anderson will be by their side.
As a Patient Care Coordinator , you will work with a diagnosis-specific clinical team and you will be responsible for appointment scheduling, checking in/out, insurance authorizations and verifications, and answering phones for Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center providers and patients. You will support approximately 10 providers.
Location : Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center - 2946 E. Banner Gateway Drive Suite 2500 Gilbert, AZ 85234
Shift/Hours: M-F 8:30-5:00 with a 30 minute lunch
Experience innovative technology and exceptional opportunities for growth and development at Banner Health's state-of-the-art hospital Banner Gateway Medical Center. With comprehensive electronic medical records, physician order entry, digital radiography and proprietary advanced patient monitoring, Banner Gateway provides you with the innovative resources you need to provide your patients with the best care possible. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet(tm) recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Located near Phoenix in Gilbert, Ariz., Banner Gateway Medical Center offers 176 private rooms, eight operating suites, a 37-bed emergency department and shares a campus with the Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center. Key specialties include oncology, obstetrics, bariatric surgery, emergency and other services that focus on meeting the changing needs of the dynamic and growing community we serve. About Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center Located in Gilbert, Ariz. (the Phoenix Metro area) on the Banner Gateway Campus, the center provides world-class care for oncology patients - both inpatient and outpatient - and has also brought leading oncology programs to the Banner Gateway campus including Stem Cell Transplantation and comprehensive Head & Neck cancer care. Our capabilities include five linear accelerator vaults, a brachytherapy vault, an advanced diagnostic imaging suite with PET/CT scan, more than 50 infusion bays, a cryopreservation lab and much more. Our inpatient medical oncology unit also incorporates a program that utilizes the electronic surveillance partnership in caring for the patient, where remote nurses have the ability to interact with patients via two way audio-video to assist the bedside nurse with patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for providing personalized coordination, clarification and communication of all administrative aspects of care including patient needs assessments, insurance and authorization verification, registration, maintaining and handling of documentation, and scheduling of appointments. This position partners with the clinical care team to ensure a seamless experience for the patient and their family across the entire continuum of their treatment. This position assists with providing resources to help the patient maintain optimal care. This position performs follow-up tasks identified during the patient needs assessment for management of patients across the healthcare continuum or when the patient is in the continuum and needs additional resource support.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Performs patient intake process, which may include pre-registration/registration. Partners with the clinical care team to determine initial authorizations needed based on the predicted care treatment plan. Obtains patient insurance benefit information for all aspects of the treatment, including, but not limited to, inpatient and outpatient services, prescription drugs, and travel and housing, if necessary. May also answer questions regarding the authorization process and supply information to providers, patients and third party payors.
2. Acts as a resource for insurance coverage, which may include obtaining authorizations and notifications throughout the patient's treatment. Obtains all necessary signatures and documentation required by the patient's insurance plan. Accurately and completely documents all information into the patient records system to ensure maximum reimbursement. Monitors and updates information regarding insurance data, authorizations, preferred providers and changes in patient's treatment plan. Partners with the clinical care team and insurance provider to ensure continued coverage of patient's care and maximum reimbursement and minimized financial impact to the patient.
3. Provides administrative support in maintaining materials such as documents, proposals, routine correspondence, spreadsheets, composing and preparing routine reports, and maintaining records in a variety of business software and database applications for electronic medical records, billing, data management.
4. Schedules physician appointments, tests, procedures and surgeries and may provide patient with necessary preparation instructions. Prepares, processes, and manages patient documentation to department database . Acts as a liaison between the patient, billing department, and payor to enhance account receivables, resolve outstanding issues and/or patient concerns.
5. Optimizes patient experience by using effective customer service. Communicates continually with patients, other departments, referral networks and providers to ensure appropriate plans and protocols are followed. Uses discretion and is attentive to issues of customer confidentiality. Demonstrates skills in pro-active resolution and attempts to resolve scheduling conflicts.
6. May manage the medical record for the assigned area, including coordination with hospitals, practice offices and other ancillary services to obtain needed records. Responds to patient referral requests for tests, procedures and specialty visits. Follows guidelines and may assist in developing procedures to ensure that medical records are in compliance with all state and federal laws. May also reconcile charge tickets, identifying incomplete tickets, missing charge codes or missing diagnosis codes. Notifies clinical staff as needed.
7. Works independently under general supervision, following established procedures. Uses knowledge and problem-solving skills to work independently in a clinic/physician practice environment. Responsibility for ensuring efficient coordination of administrative functions supporting patient needs assessments, insurance and authorization verification, registration, maintaining and handling of documentation, financial counseling, and scheduling of appointments. Internal and external customers include patients and their families, physician offices, third party payors, vendors, clinical staff, ancillary staff, therapist, nurses and case managers. Primary responsibility is to main department assigned, however cross-over and assistance to other departments is required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Requires skills and abilities typically attained with three or more years working in a hospital or medical office. Requires knowledge of medical terminology. Must be able to work under minimal supervision and make independent decisions using good judgment. Excellent communication, human relations, attention to detail and organizational skills are required. Must possess highly developed interpersonal relations and process coordination skills.
Employees working at Banner MD Anderson on the Banner University Medical Center Phoenix campus must possess a State of Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment. This is a requirement of the Whole Family Counseling Program held at this specific facility.
Requires knowledge of payer contract terms and processes. Requires the ability to perform basic math function and the ability to handle confidential information and sensitive issues. Must be able to work effectively with common office software and hospital software to perform intake and updates to patient medical history in addition to other software used in scheduling and billing.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.