As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
The UW Finance Transformation Program (UWFT) is a $200M initiative to replace the University’s financial systems with an integrated system to manage the full suite of financial transactions and reporting needs in the UW system – to include academic, administrative, and healthcare. UWFT will fundamentally change the processes and tools that the University employs to track, spend, collect, manage, and report University finances in excess of $7B in annual revenues, resulting in more timely and actionable information for leadership. Among the UW’s highest administrative priorities, this multi-year initiative is one of the largest finance system projects in Washington State and the outcome of the program will be highly visible at all levels of the University and the state.
The UW Finance Transformation Program has an excellent opportunity for a Sr. Design Director to manage, direct, and lead the functional design effort, end-to-end business processes, and the establishment of post go-live operations. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of UWFT, this position will have responsibility for overseeing the development of functional design elements of the project that will translate into defined end-to-end business processes so that end users have a seamless experience for processing financial transactions. The Sr. Design Director will work collaboratively with the UWFT team and will require a strong blend of technical and process skills, leadership, and group facilitation experience. This position will have responsibility for ensuring that all functional design of Workday is completed in a collaborative manner with groups within the UWFT program, key partner organizations, and end users.
The implementation of a new, integrated financial system, along with the launch of new shared services units that will be responsible for centralizing the financial transactions for units represents a significant shift in how work will be completed within the UW enterprise. Therefore, this position must understand the change management impacts of this system transformation and work to ensure the disparate business needs across the UW academic, research, healthcare, and administrative units are taken into account. This position will play a critical role in ensuring there is a comprehensive approach to system design, build and deployment.
Further, this position will have responsibility for building and leading a highly functional team that will have responsibility for designing and developing the Workday tool, and implementing a new shared services approach for UW financial transactions. Many of these team members will transition into continuing positions with the UW. Therefore, there is a necessary focus on professional development and growth so that all team members can have ongoing opportunity with the UW.
Business Process Design/Development:
* Lead development of 9 end to end business processes, to include the design and development of the business process within Workday and the end-to-end business process design that will be built into post go-live operations
* Lead the development of the FDM (Finance Data Model) that will serve as the chart of accounts structure across the UW enterprise
* Coordinate with consulting partner to ensure accountability to agreed upon scope of work, and adherence to consulting methodology for implementation; Advocate for UW business needs to vendor partners to ensure final product can be managed and maintained by the UW
* Partner with Change Management team to ensure clear understanding of change from current to future state; collaborate closely with change management team to ensure that interactions with UW units is in alignment and coordinated with change management approach and methodology
* Ensure that teams document their configuration decisions and manage requirements traceability; ensure future state requirements are clearly documented and meet the business needs of the UW
* Ensure consistent process for configuration and documentation across modules; utilize personas to validate and test; Oversee establishment of end-to-end process tests to validate systems ability to meet future state requirements
* Oversee the development of visual workflows/mapping of end to end processes so that the full business process is clear and end users can understand how to process transactions
* Oversee the development of guardrails that align with strategic vision
* Ensure that reporting needs for each end-to-end business process are defined and that close collaboration continues with UWFT reporting team, UW-IT, UW Medicine, and Integrated Service Center and other partners to ensure coordinated approach to defining reporting needs of the UW
* Oversee Process Transformation Teams to support iterative demos and reconfiguration to support agreed upon future state
* Partner with Project Management team and UWFT leadership to ensure each functional work stream is being managed based on agreed upon scope, schedule and budget
* Escalate issues and risks associated with design in a timely manner
* Work with consulting partner to ensure training and knowledge transfer for Workday configuration with functional leads and business analysts for each functional area
Shared Services Unit Design & Implementation:
* Oversee the design, development and implementation of several shared services units across the UW enterprise
* Ensure that roles and responsibilities are clearly defined and in alignment with the end-to-end business process design, and that end users clearly understand work flows
* Collaborate with Operating Model Manager to help drive strategic decision around the establishment, resourcing, logistics, and staffing of each shared services unit
* Partner closely with the existing enterprise shared services unit (the Integrated Service Center – ISC) to support ongoing seamless maintenance of Workday, training for end users, and coordination of Workday transactional support
Team leadership and management:
* Manage, delegate, and prioritize the workload for the staff of the Design Team, from Managers to individual contributors; ensure team is fully utilized, staffed strategically, and collaborative across the UWFT program and with key partners/end users
* Build a highly functional team, with a focus on professional development, team cohesion, and ongoing celebration/acknowledgement of achievements; work with UW leadership to build career paths for team members
* Coordinate with other Program Services and functional work streams to ensure alignment and resolve issues.
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Management, Information Technology, or related degree and nine or more years of project management and functional design experience, preferably in supporting large, complex IT transformation projects.
Proven effective management under pressure, exercising independent judgment and decision making skills in resolving problems.
Awareness of self and impact on others with proven ability to influence.
Demonstrated ability to effectively lead, supervise and delegate to staff in a deadline driven environment.
Demonstrated ability to manage and support program planning efforts.
Demonstrated ability to set and meet goals, asses resources needs, develop schedules, monitor and communicate status, and develop processes and procedures.
Proven leadership, organizational, decision-making, problem solving, analytical, and technical skills.
Proven ability to work independently and as well as collaboratively across team leads and program leadership.
Ability to collaborate with senior leadership on project management matters.
Demonstrated excellent written/oral communication skills, presentation skills, technical documentation skills, user liaison skills, and personal interaction abilities. Must be able to speak and write about technical issues for both technical and non-technical audiences.
Resilient, agile and able to work in dynamic environment and under pressure.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Experience working in an academic, higher education or healthcare institution.
Demonstrated experience working with large, highly structured administrative systems.
Program startup experience.
Working with (or as) consulting resources.
ERP, Workday or SaaS experience
Certified PMP designation or equivalent.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Application Process: The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.