Full-time, Tenure-track Assistant Professor, Department of Architecture and Environmental Design
College of Technology, Architecture, and Applied Engineering School of the Built Environment Department of Architecture and Environmental Design
Bowling Green State University is a tier-one, public university serving 19,000 students on two campuses in northwest Ohio. The University has nationally recognized programs and research in the applied technologies, natural and social sciences, education, arts, business, health and wellness, and humanities. BGSU seeks talented individuals to join our community in Bowling Green, Ohio, recognized as one of the “Best College Towns of America.”
The successful candidate is expected to:
1) Teach undergraduate and graduate design studios including lectures/seminars in the B.S.Arch. and M.Arch. degree programs as needed, and participate in undergraduate and graduate curriculum development.
2)Develop research/creative scholarship in one or more areas related with design, representation, professional practice, design-build, building information modeling, digital fabrication, material science, building systems, sustainability, community design, public interest design and/or other emerging areas of relevance to Architecture/Construction Management.
3) Mentor undergraduate and graduate students.
4) Perform service to the school, college, and university.
Expected Start Date:
August 2021 (Fall Semester)
Credentials Required for Application:
1)Cover letter including statements of teaching interests, pedagogy, research/creativity (past work and future goals) with a description of expected needs (if any) for equipment or other research support needed to become competitive for the receipt of external funding for research;
2) Curriculum vitae;
3) Unofficial transcripts for degrees completed or pursuing;
4) Contact information for three references who will be asked to provide a current (dated within one year) letter of recommendation; and
5) Each candidate must submit a digital portfolio in PDF format (max 50MB) directly to Dr. Stan Guidera, Search Committee Chair, [email protected]
The portfolio should include samples of student studio work (with syllabi) and/or samples of creative/professional work (as applicable).
Applicants may be asked to forward additional materials in support of their application. Finalists will be required to submit official letters of recommendations and official transcripts.
Application Deadline: May 15, 2021.
Please contact Dr. Stan Guidera, Search Committee Chair, School of the Built Environment, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH 43403, [email protected]
BGSU policy requires finalists to authorize and pass a background investigation prior to receiving an offer of employment.
Information about Department, School, and College:
Housed within the College of Technology, Architecture and Applied Engineering, the School of the Built Environment offers a transformative experience for students who seek to engage in design-build innovation and the creation of exemplary places, structures and systems with the goal of shaping the future of our built environment. The School is comprised of the Department of Architecture and Environmental Design and the Department of Construction Management, two units with established histories, collaborations and synergies. The Architecture and Environmental Design department includes several full-time faculty, adjuncts and enrolls over 200 students. In 2019, the Architecture program was listed by DesignIntelligence (DI) in the “Top Ten Architecture Programs Most Hired From” (under 20 graduating students).
Within the school, we offer four degrees, including one certificate. These include:
1) Bachelor of Science in Architecture;
2) Bachelor of Science in Construction Management;
3) Master of Architecture;
4) Master of Technology Management - Construction Management; and
5) Graduate Certificate in Construction Management.
The mission and core-values of the school highlight the impact and significance of architectural practice and construction management on the user, the environment, and the broader socio-economic context. Our students are immersed in an interdisciplinary learning environment – one that seamlessly infuses design, technical and management education. Our programs remain distinct, because we require 2-3 paid co-op experiences, which typically transition into full-time job opportunities for our students, upon graduation. Optimum coupling of lectures and hands-on-experiences, dedicated faculty with extensive academic qualifications and industry experience, personal attention and mentorship, study abroad opportunities, diverse and active student organizations, and strong professional connections are but few of the highlights of the educational experience we seek to offer in the School of the Built Environment at BGSU.
With an overarching focus on innovation, entrepreneurship, integrated design-build practice/collaboration, community outreach, environmental stewardship and global engagement, our graduates are uniquely poised and prepared to enter the work-force as entrepreneurs and leaders of the design profession and construction industry.
For more information regarding the department, its programs, the college or BGSU:
Bowling Green State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer.
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities regardless of age, gender identity, genetic information, religion, or sexual orientation.
1) Master's level professional degree in architecture (M. Arch.); a Ph.D. in Architecture (or related field) or professional registration with a M. Arch. degree will be required for tenure and promotion.
2) Applicants must have a minimum of one year of collegiate teaching or related industry/professional experience.
1) Experience and ability to successfully teach architecture design studios.
2) Experience with cross-disciplinary teaching and service efforts in architecture and construction management.
3) Professional level certification/s in one or more areas such as: Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED AP); Passive House Institute US (PHIUS); Design Build Institute of America (DBIA); Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP).
4)Knowledge of digital software applications in architecture (AutoCAD, Revit, BIM, etc.).
About Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green State University is a tier-one, public university serving 19,000 students on two campuses in northwest Ohio. The University has nationally recognized programs and research in the natural and social sciences, education, arts, business, health and wellness, humanities and applied technologies. BGSU seeks talented individuals to join our community in Bowling Green, Ohio, recognized as one of the “Best College Towns of America.”Bowling Green State University provides experiences that enhance lives. Students are prepared for lifelong career growth, lives of engaged citizenship and leadership in a global society. U.S. News and World Report names BGSU as one of the top public universities nationwide with a strong commitment to first-year programs that lead to success. Within our transformative learning community, we build a welcoming, safe and diverse environment where the creative ideas and achievements of all can benefit others throughout Ohio, the nation and the world.