Executive Director, Business Intelligence and Analytics
Job ID: 2020-7057 Type: University Development and Alumni Relations (WS1006) # of Openings: 1 Category: Development/Sponsored Research/Grant Writing New York University
The primary focus of the Executive Director, Business Intelligence and Analytics is to lead the design, development, and implementation of technology based solutions and services that support fundraising business Intelligence (BI), Fundraising Analytics, and Benchmarking, for the University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR) division, to provide proactive and data-driven insights using robust Business Intelligence (BI) solutions that inform UDAR Core team decisions. Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Strategic Planning and Analytics and part of the Management Team of Strategic Planning and Analytics group, this role leads a high-performing team of data visualization, reporting and data experts providing standard and customized BI solutions within UDAR, and collaborates with NYU IT technical leaders to understand University investments around data infrastructure and platforms to enable critical data capabilities while taking on consideration industry best practices, existing systems capabilities, and the alignment with the strategic vision and the priorities of the UDAR Division.
The Executive Director will work closely with UDAR Management teams to define fundraisers’ data analytics needs will be required to challenge the status quo and spark innovative thoughts to set the operational strategy for data visualizations and shape the overall landscape, direction, and data delivery to support the success of various functional teams via data-driven decision making and ensure alignment across teams based on their individual data needs. With a primary focus on “data”, will need to develop and execute plans for continuous data quality improvement that will allow for the implementation of sophisticated BI and performance management solutions that support the UDAR Strategic Initiatives.
This role will develop and maintain a comprehensive program for data management to facilitate the strategic use of the University data sources, including student records, faculty & staff records, and Profiles records, using data warehouse technology, social media, Web and email communication with internal and external tracking and evaluate the data vendor landscape and identify strategic partnerships/solutions that can bring high ROI to the UDAR division. In addition, will collaborate with the UDAR management teams on initiatives to improve business processes that impact data integrity in UDAR CRM databases and related data services, ensuring compliance with university policy and industry best practices and participate in change management initiatives to integrate industry best practices into current and future business processes.
Required Education: Bachelor's Degree in any of these majors: MIS, IT, Business, Marketing, Computer Sciences, Statistics, Math, Economics, Operational Research
Preferred Education: Master's Degree MS/PhD in computer science, statistics, or operations research or related technical discipline
Required Experience: 7+ years of job related experience within a University Development office or ten (10) years of directly job-related experience in a non-Development University environment of progressively complex experience, working with Business Intelligence or data analytics teams to deliver reporting/dashboards, analysis, modeling and insight.
Preferred Experience: 10+ years experience in a Business Intelligence Development role with a Higher Education Advancement working with one of the leading Donor Management systems (Blackbaud CRM, Raiser’s Edge, Abila Millennium, Ellucian Advance) and with experience gathering requirements for fundraising analytics and delivering solutions on leading BI and Analytics platforms (Tableau, MS BI Stacks, Qlik)
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities: • Experience managing and developing high-performance teams
• Good understanding of Data Management Platforms, Relational Databases Systems (RDBMS), Datawarehousing concepts, ETL development, and Systems Integrations
• Microsoft Business BI stack hands on experience
• Tableau Desktop and Server hands on experience
• Ability to lead and motivate teams as well as the broader organization through transformational/change management initiatives
• Ability to respond quickly to changing business needs and priorities
• Experience assessing needs and resources to recommend strategic Business Intelligence solutions
• Ability to manage multiple high priorities projects with great attention to detail and execution in a timely and efficient manner.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Abilities: • Established track record driving business goals and offerings through data, business intelligence, and analytics
• Have built and led a data team that has created a data-driven culture
• Prior experience in a donor CRM system conversion project
• Excellent project management skills
• Exceptional analytical skills with ability to review and analyze significant amounts of information
• Strong presentation skills and ability to present findings to senior leaders
• Strong skills in managing multiple projects and ensuring a high level of responsiveness
• Experience with advanced predictive analytics related to donor acquisition, cultivation, and retention
• Proficiency with Python and R, or similar analytics and programming languages
• Ability to analyze and interpret financial data
• Ability to obtain and effectively use information, including ability to identify the information needed, seek the information from a variety of sources, and skillfully extract and report the information for business benefit
• Acts quickly in response to customer problems, takes ownership and sees them through to satisfactory conclusion
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction
• Evidence of strong leadership skills and a successful track record of developing others through coaching, mentoring, motivating and training
NYU aims to be among the greenest urban campuses in the country and carbon neutral by 2040. Learn more at nyu.edu/nyugreen.
Founded in 1831, New York University is now one of the largest private universities in the United States. Of the more than 3,000 colleges and universities in America, New York University is one of only 60 member institutions of the distinguished Association of American Universities.