Definition of Class
- This position requires a high level of verbal and inter-personal communication skills, with a focus on public health, as a key team member in a fast-paced environment. This position has a hand in all communications arising from the Public Health Department, whether directly producing the communications or overseeing them. This position is responsible for maintaining content on the Health Department website and social media platforms. This position is also the critical communications point to convey crisis-related information to the public on behalf of the Health Department in the event of a public health emergency. This advanced-level position, which performs under minimal supervision, requires independent work, collaboration with others, a team mentality, an adaptable nature, and above average level of cultural competence.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage all digital content for the health department’s public platforms.
- Collaborate with the Erie County PIO to ensure consistent messaging in all scenarios but particularly during public health emergencies.
- Coordinate programs/departments/initiatives to feature through various platforms.
- Work with Divisions to review and develop clear and compelling public health communications related to public health emergencies, chronic disease, injury prevention, communicable disease, environmental health, social determinants of health and other public health related topics.
- Work with various health department programs to assist in development of creative material for public health campaigns, newsletters, and other communications.
- Work with health department executive director, management, and staff to create and coordinate promotional efforts, including newsletters, op-eds, fliers and other materials.
- Proofread/approve all promotional efforts.
- Coordinate with local media outlets on recurring op-eds and interview spots to highlight various public health programs.
- Write news releases for health department and work with Erie county PIO to coordinate, plan and run news conferences and media interviews for health department staff.
- Research and write op-eds, articles, speeches, letters, applications, and other materials as needed for the Director and other health department staff.
- Coordinate strategies to maximize public awareness of public health programs and services.
- Ensure that residents seeking information for the health department have their queries answered in a timely, professional manner.
- Represent health department in the community, including on boards or in meetings, as requested.
- Coordinate public response to public health emergencies, no matter when such situations arise (24/7).
- Coordinate public health emergency response communications with the Erie County Public Information Officer.
- Work with health department employees to ensure essential information is presented to the public and/or shared with the media for broader dissemination.
- The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of public health and county government, including its structure, function, services and department.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, translating public health, scientific, and/or government jargon into everyday language for the average citizen.
- Strong verbal communication skills, with a particular focus on strong writing and editing ability across all mediums and platforms.
- Strong understanding of the function and capabilities of social media platforms, including best practices and appropriate use for communication between a government entity and constituents.
- Strong personal communication skills, able to work easily and effectively with elected officials, departmental directors, county employees, members of the media and the public.
- Ability to create public health stories that resonate with the public.
- Ability to understand and display data in easy to understand graphics, reports, and articles.
- Ability to assist with presentations, talking points, and press conferences.
- Willingness to be “on call” to respond to public health emergencies, including communicable disease outbreaks, severe weather crises, pandemic response efforts, or other crises that require response by the health department.
- Ability to use digital tools, including social media platforms, WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft products.
Conditions Of Employment
- The selected candidate will be pre-employment required to obtain, at their own expense, 3 forms of clearance, including PA State Police Criminal History Record Check; PA Child Abuse History; and FBI Criminal History Background Check including finger printing. This pre-employment requirement applies to all County employees exercising their bumping rights.
- Possession of a valid automobile operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and ability to obtain transportation to perform job duties on a daily basis.