This position is designed to fill demands for chairside staffing needs to cover Dental Assistant staff absences and fluctuant increased needs in clinical areas for Chairside Dental Assistants throughout the entire dental center. Assist in all clinical areas as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Perform dental assisting duties as they relate to each specific clinical area. This includes setting up for procedures, assisting utilizing four-handed technique and cleaning up afterwards. (2) Expose, process and mount digital x-rays. (3) Perio charting and documenting as necessary using the electronic health record in preparation for patients’ treatment plan. (4) Adherence to infection control guidelines and OSHA compliance. (5) Scheduling patient appointments, utilizing the computer system. (6) Assist in any capacity in other patient care areas including sterilization and radiology. (7) Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
- A high school diploma or equivalent. - Michigan Radiology Certification Required. - Current CPR Certification or attainable within 90 days. - Associates Degree or some college course work preferred.
Competent chairside assisting in complex dental procedures including periodontal surgery and implant placement surgery utilizing four-handed technique, a plus.
Experience with digital x-rays and electronic health record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(1) Current knowledge of dental terminology, dental instruments and materials.
(2) Must have the ability to expose, process, and mount quality digital radiographs.
(3) Qualified individual will have excellent customer service skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
(4) Must be dependable and have the ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to manage responsibilities in a diverse environment.
(5) Must be flexible and adaptable as this position requires the ability to work in a variety of different areas perhaps within the same day.
Must be able to sit and bend. Must have manual dexterity to manage four handed dentistry and instrument transfer. Must be mobile and able to move around the building to escort patients to and from the operatory.
Standard dental environment in a multi-discipline education setting.
Hours may vary due to situations that could arise in the current unpredictable environment.
Must have manual dexterity for proper four handed dental techniques.
Must be able to move freely throughout the clinic.
Current CPR certification required or attainable within 90 days
Actual hours could possibly vary from 7:00 am till 2:30 pm OR 11:00 am till 6:30 pm. We now operate by staggering working hours so flexibility is sometimes needed needed considering the unpredictable situation COVID has created.
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: SF9715-TD001-0618-1236
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.