Job no: 501765 Position type: Full-Time 12-Month Department: 011900 - Biochem,MolBio,Entmology&Plant Path Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS Categories: Support Staff Position Open Date: Nov 4 2020
A Laboratory Technician who will prepare insect traps in the lab for several invasive insect pest survey programs and assist with sample and specimen preparation, and perform miscellaneous administrative duties. The Technician will also assist student workers with lab activities.
The Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Entomology & Plant Pathology is a comprehensive department with an academic, research and service mission. The Department offers B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees from the College of Agriculture and Life Science, and currently advises approximately 330 undergraduates and 60 graduate students.
Area of Specialization:
Insect Specimen Preparation in Museum Setting
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Prepares insects traps and lures of various types for placement in the field. 2. Sets up lab equipment and supplies and ensures proper operation. 3. Prepares insect specimens for museum storage. 4. Maintains a high degree of organization as it pertains to categorizing specimens and inputting their data. 5. May assist student workers with occasional fieldwork when shorthanded. 6. Practices good safety control methods.
1. High school diploma or GED. 2. Relevant Experience (yrs.): 1 year plus the education listed above
1. Bachelor's degree with area of focus in Entomology, Biology, Forestry, Wildlife and Fisheries or a related field. 2. Prior work experience in an entomological museum 3. Coursework relevant to biology, entomology, insect taxonomy, statistics, cartographic sciences, spermatophyte taxonomy, forest measurements, and biogeography 4. Intermediate to advanced experience with Microsoft Office, especially Microsoft Excel. 5. Experience with Digital Photography
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Familiarity with trap designs used in invasive insect surveying and procedures for their establishment and retrieval 2. General knowledge of insect taxonomy, identification and dissection with a particular emphasis on invasive species. 3. Experience in operation of compound and dissecting microscopes along with laboratory procedure. 4. Excellent organization skills and dealing with large sets of data. 5. Excellent computer skills such related to spreadsheets and word processing. 6. Excellent interpersonal, communications, organizational, and problem-solving skills. 7. Ability to prioritize competing demands and meet deadlines. 8. Ability to innovate and work as a team member. 9. Ability to anticipate barriers to project completion; plan and manage contingencies.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Requires limited lifting of files, records, and insect drawers. 2. Fieldwork requires ability to drive and includes exposure to the outdoors and associated unpredictable weather. 3. Frequent, external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one's control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position. 4. Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands. 5. Travel throughout Mississippi to various events and field sites may be necessary with some overnight stays required on occasion.
Instructions for Applying:
Applications must be submitted through the Human Resources Management website at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/ by completing the Support Staff application and submitting a cover letter, resume, and three references. For additional questions, please contact Kathy Breland at [email protected]
Position is contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Internal Number: 501765
About Mississippi State University
Mississippi State University represents the highest level of research activity for doctorate-granting institutions and is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as an R1-Very High Research Activity University. Also, a National Science Foundation “Top 100” research University, MSU shelters a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious honor society, and values the talents of our distinguished faculty, staff, and student scholars. Here, a culture of inclusion is fostered and we’re driven each day to make a difference at the local, state, regional, national and global levels. At Mississippi State University we invite you to join us as we continue our momentum in research, teaching, and service.
To apply, please go to http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/