The Data Science Institute (DSI) at Columbia University advances the state-of-the-art in data science; transforms all fields, professions, and sectors through the application of data science; and ensures the responsible use of data to benefit society.
DSI invites candidates for the role of Post-Award Grants Manager to support our Finance and Grants function. The incumbent will be responsible for monitoring monthly grant activity and expenditures posted to grant projects, serve as liaison to Sponsored Projects Administration, Sponsored Projects Finance and other collaborating departments to ensure grants are being properly managed. S/he will also ensure all required annual and interim progress reports to sponsors are handled appropriately.
The Post-Award Grants Manager will work to assure that the administration of sponsored programs related to research is in compliance with federal, state and private agency rules and regulations. This position will report directly to the Director of Finance and Grants Management with a dotted line to the Associate Director of Research and Grants Management.
● During the lifecycle of the award, provide efficient and effective post-award accounting, management & reconciliation to faculty and administrators
● Review Notices of Award, in coordination with the University's SPA Contract Officer, and legal if needed, to be cognizant of terms & conditions, project & financial reporting schedules and other financial or project management requirements related to the award.
● Ensure personnel are appropriately allocated to the project, according to the terms of the award. Monitor payroll transactions to ensure the salary costs are appropriately applied according to sponsor guidelines and institutional policy. Monitor committed effort versus awarded effort
● Ensure all non-salary expenses are allowable, allocable & reasonable and facilitate the processing of these expenses.
● Initiate, manage & modify Subawards when needed.
● Ensure timely processing of required annual and interim progress reports to sponsors based on established procedures;
● Analyze, coordinate, and approve requests for prior approval of post-award changes and actions;
● Review, coordinate, and negotiate award modifications;
● Assist PIs, department staff, and central-administration staff in solving project related administrative problems and issues;
● Advise concerned parties of their responsibilities in meeting special or unusual
● Ensure compliance with award regulatory terms and University policies;
● Bachelor's degree or equivalent in education and experience plus three years of related experience required.
● Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
● Ability to effectively prioritize a large volume of work in a demanding and deadline driven environment
● Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
● Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
● Outstanding customer service skills.
● Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
● Advanced degree in a relevant discipline is highly desired.
● Education, background, or strong interest in data science, engineering, technology, etc. ● Portfolio/work samples will be expected as part of the application process.
Type other requirements and/or special indicators if CUIMC
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Internal Number: 509057
About Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world.