Assistant/Associate Professor of Practice in Digital Media and Learning
Teaching, Learning, and Leading - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (20004717)
Assistant or Associate Professor of Practice in Digital Media and Learning (Appointment-stream)
Appointment: 12-month, full-time, appointment stream; starting Fall 2021
The School of Education at the University of Pittsburgh seeks to hire an appointment-stream (non-tenure track) assistant or associate professor of practice in digital media who will explore urgent issues in integrating classroom technologies. We seek a candidate with experience in using technology for competency-based learning in different learning and work environments and analyzing how technologies reproduce and remedy educational inequities.
This person would be responsible for:
1. contributing to enhancing our undergraduate and graduate degree programs (e.g., BS, MAT, MEd, MA, MS, PhD, and EdD) by focusing on remote/online, hybrid, residential, and/or virtual simulation learning environments;
2. partner with colleagues in education and at the university, including the Pitt Information Technology team to design and develop a robust, cutting-edge ed tech degree program;
3. providing professional development in online teaching and PreK-16 learning environments to education colleagues at Pitt and throughout the region;
4. designing and teaching ed tech courses concerning pressing issues in teacher education, PreK-16 instruction and learning, universal design, education foundations, global engagements, rural and/or urban education, or special education;
5. supporting new educational technology initiatives in the School, including co-designing a creative digital technology degree and collaborating with the Director of Innovative Technologies and Online Learning to support our new ed tech work.
1. Earned doctorate in educational/instructional technology or closely related fields at the time of appointment. Candidates experienced in STEAM education fields are especially encouraged to apply, but all areas are welcome
2. Significant demonstrated experience integrating emerging educational technologies in academic programs and courses (K12 or higher education and different course delivery formats)
3. Demonstrated teaching experience in preK12 and/or higher education (ideal candidates will have three years experience or more of preK12 settings)
4. Demonstrated instructional design experience in preK12 and/or higher education
5. Demonstrated excellence or future promise in advising and mentoring students
6. Demonstrated experience with or potential for innovation and excellence in university-level teaching and using technology for online and blended format classes
7. Demonstrated commitment to working in an environment devoted to community engagement, collaboration, collegiality, professional development, scholarly inquiry, excellence in teaching and learning, civic responsibility, and respect for all people
8. Demonstrated commitment to working with preK12 schools through research, teaching, and service
9. Ongoing or potential for ongoing practitioner-focused scholarship related to digital and instructional technology
10. Demonstrated commitment to equitable, just, and sustainable practices through research, teaching, and service
Salary and Rank: Competitive salary will be commensurate with qualifications at the rank of Associate or Assistant Professor of Practice (appointment-stream).
Review of applications will begin November 13, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply, upload your letter of application, curriculum vitae, one representative example of experience in instructional design for online courses (K12 or higher education) or syllabi that demonstrates an ability to integrate digital media tools into coursework (note: multi-modal mediums encouraged), and the names and contact information for three academic references to your application. In your application letter, please speak to how your work addresses equity and justice.
Note: Final candidates will be required to secure three letters of recommendation, examples of teaching effectiveness (such as course evaluations, peer observations, sample syllabi), teaching/ advising philosophy statement, and/or a writing sample.
For questions about the submission process or the position, email Megan Brennan at [email protected] or contact the search committee chairs as listed above.
Women and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED ADDITIONAL ITEMS: -Example of Instructional Design for an Online course OR Sample Syllabi -Name/Contact information of 3 academic references The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values equality of opportunity, human dignity and diversity. EOE, including disability/vets
Assignment Category: Fulltime-Regular
Required Attachments: Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, Other (see posting for additional details)
Internal Number: 20004717
About University of Pittsburgh
Founded in 1787, the same year the U.S. Constitution was signed, the University of Pittsburgh is one of the oldest institutions of higher education in the United States. One of three state-related research universities in Pennsylvania, Pitt is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), which comprises 62 preeminent doctorate-granting research institutions in North America.Pitt faculty members have expanded knowledge in the humanities and sciences, earning such prestigious honors as the National Medal of Science, the MacArthur Foundation’s “genius” grant, the Lasker-DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award, and election to the National Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Medicine. Pitt scientists have defeated polio, unlocked the secrets of DNA, lead the world in organ transplantation, and pioneered TV and heavier-than-air flight, among numerous other accomplishments.Pitt students have earned Rhodes, Goldwater, Marshall, and Truman Scholarships, among other highly competitive national and international scholarships.Alumni have pioneered MRI and TV, won Nobel and Pulitzer Prizes, led corporations and universities, served in government and the military, conquered Hollywood and The New York Times bestsellers list, and won Super Bowls and NBA championships.