Technology Manager / Assistant Technology Manager (depending on experience): University of Tennessee Research Foundation (on the campus of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis, TN)
The University of Tennessee Research Foundation is the technology transfer organization for the University of Tennessee. Through offices in Knoxville and Memphis, UTRF manages the commercialization of inventions and discoveries developed across the UT system. UTRF's technology transfer objective is to identify and protect UT intellectual property that represents potential products and services, and to find private sector partners to bring those new products and services to market. UTRF also uses its status as an independent non-profit corporation to support special projects that help the University of Tennessee fulfill its research and economic development missions.
The Memphis office of UTRF is seeking a Technology Manager / Assistant Technology Manager with a background in life science or chemistry to manage the commercialization of early stage discoveries. Reporting to the Vice President of UTRF, the Technology Manager / Assistant Technology Manager will be involved in all aspects of the technology transfer process. Specifically, the Technology Manager / Assistant Technology Manager will be responsible for:
* Building relationships with research groups across campus to identify new intellectual property.
* Performing comprehensive evaluations of inventions, including determinations of patentability, commercial potential, and path-to-market.
* Managing patent preparation and prosecution. This includes selection of external patent counsel, working with the inventors to file applications prior to publication dates, and overseeing ongoing prosecution.
* Developing and deploying marketing efforts to attract licensees.
* Negotiating commercialization agreements. This includes preparing and exchanging term sheets, contract drafting (from UTRF templates), and direct negotiation with prospective licensees.
* Overseeing active licenses to ensure licensee compliance.
* Promoting and supporting faculty and student entrepreneurship. Position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This position is ideal for the following candidates:
* Postdoctoral scientists seeking a technology transfer career
* Attorneys with a technical background
* Pharmaceutical/biotech scientists
* Experienced technology transfer professionals
Internal Number: 204986
About University Administration
Our primary mission is to move forward the frontiers of human knowledge and enrich and elevate the citizens of the state of Tennessee, the nation, and the world. As the preeminent research-based, land-grant university in the state, UT embodies the spirit of excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, creative activity, outreach, and engagement attained by the nation’s finest public research institutions.