Hudson County Community College (HCCC) is an award-winning, comprehensive urban college serving one of the most historic and ethnically diverse areas of the United States. HCCC has three campuses located just minutes from Manhattan: the Journal Square campus in Jersey City and North Hudson Campus in Union City are adjacent to vital transportation hubs; the Secaucus campus has abundant parking.
Fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, HCCC serves more than 18,000 credit and non-credit students annually. The College offers more than 60 degree and certificate programs, including award-winning English as a Second Language, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), Culinary Arts/Hospitality Management, Nursing and Health Sciences, and Fine and Performing Arts. The HCCC Culinary/Hospitality Management program was ranked number six in the U.S. by Best Choice Schools. Over 94% of HCCC Nursing program graduates passed the NCLEX first time out, placing the program’s graduates in the top tier of two- and four-year nursing programs nationwide. In 2017, the Equality of Opportunity Project ranked HCCC in the top 5% of 2,200 U.S. higher education institutions for social mobility. In 2019, the College joined Achieving the Dream as part of its expanding efforts towards continuous improvement in ensuring student success.
HCCC has partnerships with every major four-year college and university in the greater New Jersey-New York area and beyond, accommodating seamless transfer of credits for further undergraduate and graduate education.
The College has been recognized with numerous national and state awards for excellence in student success programming, diversity and equity, educational innovativeness, facilities design, and communications from the Association of Community College Trustees, American Association of Community Colleges, Association of College and Research Libraries, National College Learning Association, National Council of Teachers of English, College Advertising Awards, New Jersey Business & Industry Association, and others.
Hudson County Community College is proud of its culture of care and invites applications from those wishing to join a community dedicated to promoting student success in all its forms.
What you’ll do:
Counsel and coach students and alumni with career exploration, career readiness, and career management needs via individual sessions, classroom visits/workshops, and virtual services both remotely and in person.
Assess students and alumni to uncover and explore their strengths, challenges, interests, skills, and values.
Provide academic advising to align educational choices with career planning.
Counsel and coach students and alumni with goal planning strategies and achievement of the goal.
Provide short term counseling and intervention for students and alumni with immediate financial and job placement needs.
Identify and develop business relationships for events, recruitment opportunities, and job placement.
Research careers and local opportunities in-depth to support the creation of career mapping for students, faculty, and academic departments.
Partner with academic divisions to identify career paths that support students’ majors and interests and create opportunities such as custom events, jobs, internships, and volunteer roles.
Design content and market Career Services via social media, bulletins, classroom presentations, electronic communication, and other forms of advertising.
Provide support and oversite of interns, clubs, work-study students, and/or volunteers contributing to the department.
Design, project-manage, and support Career Services initiatives, curriculum and events.
Document all services and create reports to inform departmental strategy and goals.
Participate in college committees and events, including external networking opportunities, to increase student engagement and partnerships.
Other responsibilities as assigned to increase student success and college retention.
Flexibility to work some nights/weekends and on multiple campus sites for classroom activities and events.
What you’ll need to succeed:
Bachelor’s degree: required in any industry/field.
5 Years of Experience: required in any industry/field. Career Services is more successful and dynamic when teams come to the table with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We are looking for people with industry knowledge to align with students of relevant majors and career goals.
o Will consider a combination of experience with a Master’s degree+
• Bi-lingual preferred: Spanish / Arabic languages are a priority for the college.
• Technology Skills: In order to reach 100% of the student body, the department relies on technology to scale its efforts. We need individuals skilled in database management, spreadsheets, video conferencing, email management, word processing, and electronic presentations.
• Active Listening Skills: HCCC supports a diverse and traditionally underserved student body. It is important that you balance having a supportive ear with the ability to identify needs so students realize their goals.
• Engagement Skills: Including sales/customer service skills. A major challenge in any community college is the recruitment and retention of students. Career Services supports HCCC’s overall vision to be a “first-choice option” for our community. To do so, we need you to attract students and hold their attention through individual sessions and public presentations.
• Flexibility: Career Services strives to be agile and flex to the evolving needs of students and changes in the labor market. We want you if you can thrive in environments that change.
• Strategic Thinking: Career Services is a culture of continuous improvement. Your thoughtful attention to program challenges, the contribution of ideas, and participation in goal planning is significant to our growth and achievement.
What you’ll get in return:
Those who adore helping and supporting others will gain a lot from this experience. This opportunity shapes a wide range of skills and will expose you to multiple opportunities as you move forward in your own career. Just as we do for students, the Director of Career Services will support you on your unique career exploration and advancement with training and professional development opportunities.
*In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
• What is a favorite experience you’ve had in which you positively influenced someone’s life?
• What is important to you to learn or experience in a Career Coach role?
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.
HCCC is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment. Decisions on employment are made on the basis of the qualifications of an individual for the particular position being filled. Women, veterans, and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Additional Salary Information: Health Benefits, Pension, and Tuition Reimbursement.
Hudson County Community College is a public, comprehensive urban community college committed to offering high-quality programs that are affordable, accessible and community-centered. Students at HCCC may pursue courses on two campuses, both of which are located in close proximity to public transportation hubs.