1) Provide strategic oversight of schedule and engagements including triaging and confirming internal and external invitations; lead the development and communication of agenda and meeting expectations; and follow-up with meeting participants for resulting deliverables.
2) Steward relationships with high-profile funders, donors, and potential donorsÂ on behalf of the faculty member; assist with coordination of faculty memberâ™s work with outside institutions, including NGOs and government agencies.
3) Manage speaking and media requests for domestic and international events. This includes screening requests, accepting via email or through form submissions from website (e.g. for interviews, speeches).
4) Coordinate complex domestic and multi-country international travel arrangements for faculty member, including associated visa(s), airfare and ground transportation, hotel, and payment and/or reimbursement.
5) Monitor faculty memberâ™s internal and external communications to maximize research impact and exposure.Â Handle sensitive written and telephone communications effectively in a professional manner at all times: answer, screen, and direct communications with utmost courtesy, professionalism, and confidentiality. Compose and edit emails, letters, memos, reports and meeting agendas. Maintain faculty memberâ™s website, course sites and special websites for specific events or research.
6) Manage faculty memberâ™s individual finances including soliciting and processing travel reimbursements, honoraria and other internal and external receivables, to ensure timely dispersal of obligated payments using GEMS. Order supplies and equipment using Buysite.
7) Manage the transcription of voice files recorded by faculty member to draft and edit emails and documents. This includes both actual transcription work, and managing a small team of transcribers.
8) Guide projects from onset to completion, with a particular focus on the faculty memberâ™s many external, internal, and publication related deadlines, accountable to ensure deadlines are monitored and met on time. May be responsible for obtaining permissions and copyright registrations.
9) Organize on and off-campus meetings including lab meetings, dinners, workshops and other special events. Coordinate speakers, handling all travel arrangements and reimbursements using E Payment; handle speakerâ™s itinerary; make room reservations in ASTRA, arrange for ground transportation.
10) Organize electronic and on-site registration for conferences. Review seminar applications. Negotiate contracts with vendors. Reserve space and arranges catering for event. Request AV services, assist with furniture rental. Coordinate the event schedule and activities. Schedule access to the building using CBORD. Monitor event expenses and prepare reports on event costs.
11) Prepare faculty annual report using Interfolio. Prepare and coordinates letters of recommendation for graduate students.
12) Create lecture materials and schedule Zoom calls for graduate classes taught by the faculty member. Prepare PowerPoint presentation materials.
13) Supervise teaching assistants and research assistants.
1) Excellent organizational and analytical skills with high-level of accuracy and sharp attention to detail.
2) Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse professional environment.
3) Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication.
4) Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive materials and situations.
5) Ability to effectively manage a heavy workload, competing priorities, and tight deadlines .
6) A quick, self-learner with ability to initiate, organize, prioritize and complete multiple, high-level projects; meet tight deadlines; and work effectively with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
7) Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to future needs.
8) Works well independently and in a team environment.
9) Ability to use appropriate resources and follow an issue through to resolution.
10) Demonstrated sound judgment with the ability to solve problems and make effective decisions.
1) Bachelorâ™s Degree in related field.
1) At least 7 years of experience providing administrative support. Experience supporting faculty.
2) Experience in calendaring, planning special events, and scheduling complex appointments and high-profile meetings.
3) Experience in coordinating complex domestic and international travel.
4) Experience obtaining visas for international travel.
5) Familiarity with University financial policies and procedures and with domestic and international tax regulations.
1) Experience in Project Management.
2) Demonstrated knowledge of University financial systems â“ GEMS and Buysite ex: purchase order (PO) process.Â
3) Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.Â Â
1) Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Internal Number: JR09012
About University of Chicago (UC)
One of the world's premier academic and research institutions, the University of Chicago has driven new ways of thinking since our 1890 founding. Today, UChicago is an intellectual destination that draws inspired scholars to our Hyde Park and international campuses, keeping UChicago at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change the world.