Founded in 1901, Brooklyn Law School is a vibrant intellectual community emphasizing teaching excellence with an innovative academic program designed to prepare our law students to practice law in many different sectors. We strive to seek out and hire those individuals, both staff and faculty, who stand out in their field of excellence, wish to become part of the higher education community, and assist in providing the best support possible to our students.
Reporting to the Dean of Career and Professional Development, the Manager of Employer Engagement is responsible for developing and coordinating job opportunities for students and recent alumni.
The Manager of Employer Engagement will make an impact in many areas, with responsibilities and duties including, but not limited to:
• Cultivate and build relationships, liaise with and support current and prospective employers in the legal community and relevant business and industries to identify and expand new job opportunities for students, recent graduates and alumni; • Identify and cultivate potential new externship opportunities for students; • Vet and assess field placements for compliance with law school and ABA requirements; • Oversee employer-facing events, including OCI, information sessions and other recruiting programs.
Development and Promotion of Positions and Applicants
• Develop and promote job openings and externships. Screen and approve employer job postings for appropriate criteria. Monitor and review job postings; • Develop employer engagement plans and share employment opportunities with career counselors, appropriate faculty and student groups. Coordinate with counselors regarding applicant recommendations and make recommendations to employers;
Internal Organization and Student Relations
• Coordinate with counselors and Alumni Engagement Office regarding programming and sponsorships by employers; • Create customized responses to employer inquiries, customized “pitches” and employer engagement presentations to showcase BLS and our students; • Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to develop innovative ways to deliver programming and career-related information and services to students; occasionally attend events outside of normal business hours; • Collaborate with career counselors to develop appropriate programming, services and guidelines for ensuring that students are well-prepared for the job search and to ensure that employers reach appropriate targeted students and alumni;
Data Collection and Oversight
• Conduct research on existing and prospective employers, competitive intelligence and industry and market trends; • Manage records and database on student employment.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Successful candidates must possess outstanding planning organizational and management skills, must be able to prioritize and successfully manage several projects while communicating with external partners, senior administers, department heads, and, on occasion, the dean(s) at the School. This person must thrive in a fast-paced environment and work efficiently with a varying amount of direction and must have the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. They must also possess excellent intellectual acumen.
Minimum Qualifications Required to Apply for the Position
• Excellent oral, writing, and communication skills; • Experience working with databases, competency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook; • Strong client service orientation and deep respect for the need for responsiveness; proactive workstyle; • Proven organizational and project management skills; ability to set goals and take responsibility for achieving them; ability to act independently within broad procedural guidelines, exercise sound judgment and take initiative; • Interpersonal and Communication Skills: strong presence, a high degree of poise and the ability to build relationships with prospective and repeat employers; ability to establish rapport and trust, influence action and achieve results; • Excellent oral and written communication skills; • Interact with individuals and groups representing various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds; • Conscientious, collaborative, tactful and diplomatic, pragmatic and flexible; sense of humor is essential
MINIMUM EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• JD preferred. Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution; • Prior experience in business development, employer relations, or hiring and recruitment practices; • Proven experience planning, developing and implementing successful outreach initiatives; • Understanding of trends in legal education and legal hiring; knowledgeable about hiring standards and practices throughout the legal community, with a focus on private and government legal and law-related employment; familiarity with legal research/news databases; experience with career-related technology preferred.
Please include the wording of Manager of Employer Engagement in the subject heading. No phone calls, please. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and resumes received without cover letters will not be reviewed. Email a cover letter and resume to Karen Eisen: [email protected]
Additional Salary Information: Brooklyn Law School has a competitive Total Rewards packages which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurance, 403(b)Pension, Flexible Spending and Commuter benefits. We have a generous time off policy and promote a healthy work/life balance.