The Payroll Director leads the operations of the Payroll Department, which is responsible for the accurate preparation, disbursement, related tax filings and accounting for approximately $1.3+ billion of total compensation per year for the University of Pittsburgh.
- Identify and drive continuous performance improvements for enhanced efficiencies, a strong system of fraud and accounting controls, and improved management information. This includes optimizing the University's newly-implemented Oracle HCM / Payroll Cloud application, developing Payroll's data analytics capabilities, and supporting the modernization of other systems, such as Oracle Financials, that integrate with payroll.
- Collaborate with other CFO areas, HR, the Provost's Office and other departments to achieve compliance with local, state, federal and global regulations.
- Collaborate with HR, the Office of Faculty Affairs and others on a shared services strategy.
- Coach, mentor and provide talent development to Payroll team members to create a culture of professionalism and operational excellence.
-Minimum Requirements: BA/BS in Accounting, Tax (preferred) or other business discipline. 15+ of payroll, or compensation management, or accounting/tax experience. Experience in organization transformation. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong:
- leadership skills that include collaboration and teaming, developing staff, goal-setting, measuring success and communicating achievements;
- service orientation;
- project and change management skills, and;
- written and verbal communications skills with the ability to confidently present complex information to all levels of the organization.
Additional certifications or advanced degrees such as CPP, CPA, MBA, Six Sigma, PMP enhance candidacy.
Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Accounting/Tax or related field required. Accounting knowledge, understanding of relevant DOL, IRS and other regulations. Knowledge of process management and improvement techniques. Payroll accounting expertise. Project management and process improvement experience. Ability to convey complex information clearly and compellingly. Five+ year of management experience an ability to partner internal to the University and externally required. Additional certifications or advanced degrees such as CPP, CPA, MBA, Six Sigma, PMP enhance candidacy.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values equality of opportunity, human dignity and diversity. EOE, including disability/vets
Department Details: The Payroll Department is part of Financial Operations under the Office of the Chief Financial Officer.
Assignment Category: Fulltime-Regular
Job Classification: Staff.Administrator.V
Minimum Education Level Required: Baccalaureate
Minimum Experience Level Required: 15+ years experience
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Hiring Range: TBD Based on qualifications
Relocation Offered: No
Visa Sponsorship Provided: No
Background Check: For position finalists, employment with the University will require successful completion of a background check
Child Protection Clearances: Not Applicable
Required Documents: Resume, Cover Letter
Optional Documents: Not Applicable
Internal Number: 20003562
About University of Pittsburgh
Founded in 1787, the same year the U.S. Constitution was signed, the University of Pittsburgh is one of the oldest institutions of higher education in the United States. One of three state-related research universities in Pennsylvania, Pitt is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), which comprises 62 preeminent doctorate-granting research institutions in North America.Pitt faculty members have expanded knowledge in the humanities and sciences, earning such prestigious honors as the National Medal of Science, the MacArthur Foundation’s “genius” grant, the Lasker-DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award, and election to the National Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Medicine. Pitt scientists have defeated polio, unlocked the secrets of DNA, lead the world in organ transplantation, and pioneered TV and heavier-than-air flight, among numerous other accomplishments.Pitt students have earned Rhodes, Goldwater, Marshall, and Truman Scholarships, among other highly competitive national and international scholarships.Alumni have pioneered MRI and TV, won Nobel and Pulitzer Prizes, led corporations and universities, served in government and the military, conquered Hollywood and The New York Times bestsellers list, and won Super Bowls and NBA championships.