The Sales and Marketing Department is responsible for developing marketing strategies and implementing sales programs for the ACS Publications Division’s product lines. Inherent in this is analyzing all results, recommending future direction for the marketing, and positioning of ACS Publications’ products within the chemical/scientific community marketplace. The Marketing Department is committed to building a better online, purchasing, and reading experience, as well as improving the scholarly research and communications environment for both the customer and the end user. Key constituents include institutional librarian administrators, corporate librarians, authors, reviewers, ACS members, editors, and the range of end-users (subscribers and non-subscribers).
The Marketing Department is tasked with developing ongoing conversations and strengthening relationships to instigate positive brand recognition and ultimately increase sales and revenue for an extensive portfolio of journals, eBooks and other digital products. A core group within the Marketing Department is the Content Marketing and Lead Generation group, responsible for the marketing of over 60 journals, a portfolio of eBooks, new digital products, the society’s premiere blog ACS Axial (axial.acs.org) and the division’s marketing automation system.
The Marketing Manager is responsible for the strategic planning and implementation of marketing campaigns for a portfolio of journals and eBooks. This includes analysis of results in relation to the annual budget and the goals of the ACS Publications Division. The position works within a team environment to collectively achieve the goal of expanding the overall market influence of ACS Journals and Products. The position reports to a Senior Marketing Manager within the Content Marketing team.
1. Take primary responsibility for the marketing campaigns of a suite of journals and eBooks, including the ACS Guide to Scholarly Communications. Collect and analyze data, with the ultimate goal of growing audience usage year over year.
2. Liaise closely with editorial colleagues to determine relevant strategies and execute appropriate marketing campaigns to support goals and objectives.
3. Manage integrated marketing campaigns to include content marketing, social media marketing, email marketing, SEO, event marketing, direct mail, and media buys for this set of journals. Focus on the growth of eAlert registrant lists and supporting the sales team with market penetration.
4. Work with Senior Marketing Manager to create engaging multimedia content, targeted to ACS Publications readers, with the intent of promoting ACS journals and products by showcasing unique perspectives and solutions to current situations within the world of academic scientific publishing.
5. Analyze, grow, and further develop audience demographic information within marketing automation program, Eloqua.
6. Launch new journals or ACS Publication products as need arises. Grow revenue for the journal list by utilizing customer insight and marketing research. Monitor competitor activity to inform business intelligence.
7. Communicate goals, initiatives, and results of marketing campaigns internally, cross divisionally, and with other relevant product stakeholders.
8. Attend conferences to promote ACS Publications journals and products.
College degree (relevant field) or equivalent experience; may have an advanced degree (relevant field) or equivalent experience. 5+ years of related experience. Experience in STM institutional marketing as well as international marketing experience strongly preferred.
About American Chemical Society
Founded in 1876 and chartered by the U.S. Congress, we are the world’s largest scientific society. Our mission is to advance the broader chemistry enterprise and its practitioners for the benefit of Earth and its people. Our vision is to improve people’s lives through the transforming power of chemistry.