Position Title: Dental Assistant Graduate Periodontics
Classification Title: FT Staff Non Union
City/Campus: Detroit - Corktown
Department: Dental Clinic
Position Status: Full Time
Assist chairside with Residents and Faculty in the Graduate Periodontic Program. Assist with other patient care related responsibilities and general responsibilities within the Graduate Periodontic Clinic.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Assist chairside with the Graduate Periodontic Residents and other providers in the Graduate Periodontic Clinic and at times in other clinics, as requested. Set up instruments, materials, and operatories, assist during procedure, break down and clean up afterwards.
(2) Expose, process, and mount digital radiographs. Pour and trim study models. Assist in all other patient related clinical responsibilities, as necessary.
(3) Assure that the clinic remains HIPAA and OSHA compliant following proper infection control protocols.
(4) Manage and maintain instrument cassettes including inventory control, instrument sharpening, and repair and/or replacement of instruments, as necessary.
(5) Assist in assuring proper paperwork has been completed prior to surgical treatment, including but not limited to clinical consultation, financial consultation, necessary referrals, and materials orders.
(6) Assist in ordering supplies and materials utilizing and helping to maintain the inventory control tag system, the electronic Benco system and Purchase Requisitions.
(7) Assist with patient appointment scheduling as requested.
(8) Assist in preparing for implant evaluation, screening, planning, and surgical placement process as required.
(9) Perform other duties within the dental school clinics, as assigned or requested.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Associates degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum two (2) years dental chair-side experience in fast paced environment.
Must have experience assisting in surgical periodontal procedures and implant placement.
Ideal candidate will be self-motivated and able to be a productive member within the team.
Must be service oriented with the ability to handle multiple tasks.
Must have strong verbal communication skills and the ability to work well within a team as well as independently.
Must be professional, courteous and responsible.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Must have competent four handed chairside skills, ability to expose, process, and mount digital radiographs.
Competent and current knowledge of dental materials, periodontal instruments, and surgical implant handpieces/motors a must.
Idea candidate will be competent with computer keyboard with experienced using an electronic health record.
Must have manual dexterity to pass insturments and the ability to sit, bend, and reach.
Must be able to lift 10 lbs.
Must be able to move freely throughout the clinic and perform essential functions of the job with our without reasonable accommodations.
Standard dental educational environment with multiple operatories and multiple providers.
Salary/Pay Information: $14.50 Minimum - commensurate with experience
Weekly Schedule: Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: SF9889-TD001-0613-1179
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.