Division/College: Col of Agricultural & Life Sciences
Employee Category: Classified
Pay Range: $20.46 per hour or higher depending on experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Position Summary: CALS Computing Services is a multiple-platform environment supporting the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences campus and Northern Extension. This position will be responsible for the backup of the IT Systems Server Administrator/Manager. They will identify and diagnose server problems and perform troubleshooting and technical support to quickly resolve issues. This position also provides computer technical support and expertise for on and off-campus offices throughout Northern Idaho. The employee's responsibilities include systems analysis, systems administration, and end-user support; providing consultation and technical assistance in resolving IT related problems; assessing and identifying problems, recommending solutions and coordinating the problems resolution; facilitating computer maintenance and repair; utilizing ITS University Employee Devices catalog for purchasing end-user computing devices; assisting in purchasing project/team/department hardware and software utilizing optimal technology, platforms and interfaces; and providing software training. This position will require travel throughout assigned region. The employee will work with a wide range of personalities and skill levels. Position will be responsible for managing teleconferencing and virtual meeting rooms utilizing CALS video assets both on and off campus.
Minimum Qualifications: - Education: BS in Information Technology, Computer Science, or other relevant technical discipline OR Associate Degree in Information Technology and/or experience totaling four years. Equivalent experience can be considered in place of degrees.
- Experience installing, configuring and troubleshooting PC hardware and software.
- Experience working with cloud based computing software and storage.
- Experience performing data back-up and recovery.
- Experience locating the appropriate learning resources to gain a working knowledge of computer networking, infrastructure, and cybersecurity processes.
Preferred Qualifications: - A+ certification or equivalent knowledge and/or experience with PC hardware.
- Knowledge and/or experience with Windows, Mac, Android and iOS operating systems.
- Ability to install and configure systems and troubleshoot user problems.
- Knowledge and/or experience with selection, installation, configuration, troubleshooting of printers and scanners, both local and on the network.
- Knowledge and/or experience with basic networking, including wiring, wireless networking equipment, network switches, network routers, firewalls, ACLs and network security.
- Knowledge and/or experience with building security and digital key systems.
- Knowledge and/or experience with server installation and administration, such as Windows Server, Linux and VmWare.
- Basic scripting experience. Knowledge of languages such as visual basic, Powershell and Widows batch scripting.
- Ability to write hardware programming or scripts for AV or VC equipment, network equipment, etc.
- Experience operating and troubleshooting audio visual (AV) and video conferencing (VC) systems. Ability to design, specify, purchase, install and configure classroom AV and VC systems.
- Certifications from industry recognized sources are a plus.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions: - Ability to lift, carry, and/or otherwise move up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to travel extensively throughout the state.
Posting Number: SP002525P
Posting Date: 07/14/2020
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions: First consideration will be given to those who apply by July 31, 2020. The position will remain open until a suitable applicant pool has been identified.
In addition to the online application and resume, individuals should submit a letter of qualification.
IMPORTANT: To be considered, your Letter of Qualification must address EACH of the required qualifications, including pertinent education and/or experience. In addition, to improve your ranking during the evaluation process, address as many of the Preferred Qualifications as possible. Information on a resume will not be accepted as a substitute for submitting a Letter of Qualification.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
Since 1889, the University of Idaho has provided motivated students with a transformative higher education experience that prepares them to solve real-world problems and achieve success in their lives and careers. Beginning with our beautiful residential campus in Moscow, the university’s reach extends throughout Idaho, serving over 12,000 students with educational centers in Coeur d’Alene, Boise and Idaho Falls, a research and extension center in Twin Falls, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. One of the nation’s land-grant research universities, U of I is a noted national leader in student-centered learning and interdisciplinary research that promotes public service. Our work serves businesses and communities, advancing the pursuit of diversity, citizenship and global outreach.