The Boston Symphony Orchestra has had a long tradition and commitment of bringing an array of musical experiences across our three brands – BSO, Pops and Tanglewood to the community and the world. The key to our success has been our employees from the musicians onstage to those behind the scenes.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Junior Publicist to assist with the strategy, planning, and execution of all aspects of publicity. In this key role, you will expand press outreach to media sectors beyond arts and music, including college and education, among others. Additionally, you will write press materials, assist with photography and video distribution, collect and file press coverage and distribute internally; manage day-to-day elements of the press office budget; and develop key relationships with local and national media. Bring your professionalism, initiative and multi-tasking skills to a premier non-profit arts organization.
- Develop and maintain relationships with members of the newspaper, radio, television, and web media to leverage for coverage of the orchestra's activities. Manage all college press requests and pitch advance stories and reviews for concerts, special events, and artists. Under the guidance of the Director of Public Relations, develop and implement short and long-term strategies for expanded coverage of activities in the online press sector, as well as in non-arts/cultural media sectors including educational press and social and lifestyle outlets, among others.
- Manage calendar and listings communications with all press contacts; contact relevant editors weekly to get photo and listing placements as frequently as possible in a wide variety of press outlets, including relevant media/industry outlets.
- Regularly update and expand media contacts database, including print, broadcast, and online journalists, with special emphasis on music, arts, education, blogs, and travel media outlets.
- Under the leadership of Senior Publicist #1, work closely with public relations and marketing colleagues to generate new ideas for social media, blog posts, and online sites.
- Collect photos and bios of all guest artists before the announcement of a new season, making sure all files are up-to-date and shared institutionally. Coordinate and update all online press kits working closely with marketing office staff. Working with artist publicists and managers, request/encourage artists to highlight their BSO activities on their social media sites.
- Under the leadership of Senior Publicist #1, work with public relations team to publicize Pops tour and run-out concerts: generate story ideas, place stories in print, radio, and television media, arrange interviews with Keith Lockhart and musicians, and service all press requests. Act as the sole press representative for Boston Pops run-out concerts as assigned.
- Research, coordinate, and distribute press coverage to staff through “News You Can Use” (NYCU) general distribution emails; maintain press coverage records and track and file relevant television and radio coverage of activities; and work with video/radio clipping service as needed.
- Manage and regularly update the office’s interview document and interview archives, tracking all interviews from initial request or pitch through to completion.
- Manage Cision database concerning press coverage research and production schedule document distribution, catering the mailing list to coincide with subjects covered in each correspondence.
- Hire and manage interns/temporary assistants for support work at Symphony Hall and Tanglewood: schedule and assign intern workload and oversee daily work tasks. Hire and manage extra help for special events as needed.
- Plan, manage, and coordinate the execution of press office special events, including creating invitation lists, overseeing catering and room set-up, arranging for press tickets and dinner seating, and supervising the preparation of press kits.
- Manage office’s press ticket system, oversee ticket requests for BSO, Pops and Tanglewood events; oversee and coordinate Tanglewood parking and season pass system for all visiting press.
- Manage day-to-day budgeting tasks, processing invoices, track office spending, and reconcile press office records with monthly financial reports.
- Write and edit press materials, with special emphasis on press releases, press calls, and pitch letters, as well as update fact sheets and histories. Set up and distribute press releases through Mail2/Prospect2, using Dreamweaver to create HTML emails.
- Working with the BSO archives department, upload press office photo and video assets to the organization’s digital asset management system.
- Respond to general and press requests for information for all activities; Write descriptions and fill out forms for publications requesting information.
-Accompany still photographers and video cameras during special events and performances by the BSO, Pops, and at concerts during the Tanglewood season.
BS/BA degree with a concentration in public relations, journalism, or English preferred. Knowledge or background in music a plus. One to two years prior work experience in a public relations setting preferred. Attention to detail and follow-through skills essential. Good writing and proof-reading skills needed. Pleasant telephone manner, excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with all levels both internal and external. Ability to deal with the public in a positive, respectful, and calm manner. Strong organizational skills with the ability to be flexible to the needs of the business and handle multiple projects simultaneously while working as a team player. Experience handling and maintaining the integrity of highly confidential material. Experience with Microsoft Office and strong typing skills required. Experience with HTML and/or Dreamweaver a plus. Flexibility to work overtime and weekends when needed. Basic photography/video skills and experience with social media communications important.
This position requires relocation to Tanglewood from mid-June through Labor Day. Weekend work required during Tanglewood season and occasionally throughout the year.
“We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Boston Symphony Orchestra is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and encourages applications from female and minority candidates.”
About Boston Symphony Orchestra
The Boston Symphony Orchestra, Inc. engages more people in the remarkable variety and wonder of classical music than any other symphonic organization in the world, bringing music into the lives of millions of people every year. The rich tapestry of offerings by the Boston Symphony, Pops, Tanglewood Music Center and Tanglewood Festival Chorus represent the best that the art form offers. Known for its diverse programs, passionate performances and tradition of innnovation, the Boston Symphony Orchestra has been at the forefront of artistic excellence for more than 135 years.
BACK TO TOP
MPA Career Center is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else MPA has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at MPA Career Center.