YOUR ROLE : Vanderbilt's Department of Health Policy is seeking qualified candidates to provide faculty with data management, statistical analyses, project management, manuscript preparation, and other research assistance. This position is responsible for the independent execution of major components of complex quantitative research projects in health policy, health services research, epidemiology, or related disciplines, and utilizes advanced level research skills to perform a variety of research and operations-related activities including report preparation and management of project schedules for proposals and projects.
The ideal candidate has strong data management and programming skills (SAS, Stata, R), extensive experience with Medicare and other administrative data, solid project management experience, and can provide analytic support for complex statistical analyses. It is expected that standard practices and techniques will be used to collect, compile, validate, interpret, and analyze data and trends. This position requires a person who can work well with a number of faculty members from diverse disciplines, oversee and guide the efforts of junior team members, take initiative to gather suitable data to address policy questions, and complete assignments in a timely manner.
The responsibilities of this position will include quantitative and written data analysis on issues of current health policy interest including nursing home care, end of life care, and assessing quality of care more generally. Knowledge of nursing home administrative data such as the Minimum Data Set preferred but not required. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
1. Data management and analysis a. Uses advanced programming skills to manage and analyze data b. Responsible for managing large and/or complex datasets c. Coordinates development of analytic datasets, data cleaning, data validation, and data reporting d. Contributes to the development and execution of complex analytic plans, including sampling strategies and bias estimation, data specifications, reports, and tables/figures, using biostatistics and econometric methods e. Summarizes and interprets complex analyses f. Combines data from multiple sources to derive conclusions, measures and recommendations
2. Manages research projects a. Uses quantitative methods skills to lead small to medium projects within larger research efforts b. Contributes to the design, coordination and conduct of research projects c. Directs study team efforts, schedules and attends meetings, documents action items, interfaces with investigators, and provides professional support and leadership for study staff d. Fosters collaboration between team members, both internal and external to the department
3. Drafts and reviews presentations and written documents a. Prepares presentations and information for a wide variety of audiences b. Oversees the creation of charts, graphs, and tables to summarize analysis results c. Drafts research proposals d. Contributes to technical reports and peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts
4. Serves as a resource to others a. Provides guidance and supervision to junior team members b. Participates in recruiting and hiring of team members c. Provides input and/or conducts performance conversations and evaluations
Minimum Qualifications : This position requires a Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 48 months of relevant experience, or a Master's degree and 24 months of relevant experience. A degree in epidemiology, statistics, biostatistics, public health, or a health-related discipline is strongly preferred.
US Citizenship Required! Preferred qualities and skills:
* Master's level candidates are strongly encouraged to apply * Extensive experience with Medicare, Minimum Data Set, and other administrative claims data * Strong written and verbal communication skills * Strong quantitative, statistical, and data analysis skills, including experience with sampling strategies and bias estimation * Solid SAS and Stata skills and experience * Self-starter with initiative and professional work style
A current resume and cover letter must be included/uploaded in the online application to eligible for consideration.
Additional Information: This is a full-time position. Salary is dependent upon years of education and experience. Background screens will be performed and education will be verified prior to employment. Please be prepared to provide required information and/or documentation.
Vanderbilt University's new Department of Health Policy brings together a broad group of health policy scholars devoted to developing health policy solutions that can have a profound impact. The Department builds on a history of strong collaborative relationships with the Tennessee Department of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and several frontline policy makers to develop health policy solutions for our nation's most pressing health care challenges.
The combination of a major research university and preeminent medical center gives Department faculty incredible opportunities to build relationships with frontline care providers and policymakers which can lead to breakthrough discoveries. The Department fosters a deep belief that research and innovative thinking should guide health policy relationships and help policymakers understand implications. For more information, please visit https://www.vumc.org/health-policy/ .
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
* Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
* Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
* The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
* National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
* Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
* Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
* American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Keywords: SAS, STATA, R, Data Programmer, Data Management, Medicare, Administrative Claims Data, Data Science
Internal Number: 1905185
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.