As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
The UW Finance Transformation Program (UWFT) is a $270M initiative to replace the University’s financial systems with an integrated system to manage the full suite of financial transactions and reporting needs in the UW system – to include academic, administrative, and healthcare. UWFT will fundamentally change the processes and tools that the University employs to track, spend, collect, manage, and report University finances in excess of $7B in annual revenues, resulting in more timely and actionable information for leadership. Among the UW’s highest administrative priorities, this multi-year initiative is one of the largest finance system projects in Washington State and the outcome of the program will be highly visible at all levels of the University and the state.
UWFT has an outstanding opportunity for a Shared Services Operations Manager.
The UWFT program is not only transforming financial processes by implementing a new system, but will also be driving the launch of several shared services units across the UW enterprise to support financial transactions. The current plan is to stand up multiple shared service units, each requiring a significant amount of planning, negotiation and logistical management. Reporting to the Shared Services Delivery Director, the Shared Services Operations Manager will work collaboratively to help develop the plan and architecture around the shared services operations, conduct ongoing outreach to units to develop partnership and buy-in, and develop operational procedures for work that will take place within the shared service units
This position will provide strategic leadership in planning of services that are timely, accurate and highly attuned to the complexities of the university environment. More specific responsibilities include developing customer-focused inquiry and transactional processes in accordance with established policies/procedures, coordinating with stakeholders in support of a continuous improvement model and strategically advancing the vision of the shared services units to ensure they meet the business needs of the University.
Shared Service Operations
* Participate in the collaborative design of post go-live operational structure, working closely with the UWFT design team, change management team, and other UW stakeholders/key partners
* Participate in refining end-to-end business processes, collaborating to determine what work will be conducted within the shared service units
* Work with Program Operations team to determine logistics and operations around establishing new units across campus; build project management plans to support the assembly of each unit, to include space planning, layout, design, etc.
* Work with existing central shared services team (ISC) and UWFT leadership to determine operations around coordinating efforts across shared services units, to include decisions around ticketing methodology, triaging of issues, and escalations
* Work with leadership and unit employees to develop Service Level agreements and internal procedures to support seamless operations
* Develop internal procedure documentation and plans (process mapping, internal controls, etc) to effectively manage the work within the shared services units
* Develop transactional support processes, including designated financial transaction processing activities. Ensures processes are developed with an eye towards consistency, accuracy and timeliness. Uses in-depth functional domain knowledge and system expertise to build optimal business operations within the shared services units.
* Partner with central business units to ensure clarity around end-to-end business processes; help define their future state role post go-live; partner to establish operational expectations around what activities will reside within the shared services unit and how the central business unit will coordinate activities
* Work with impacted academy and medicine units to support increased understanding of impacts to their core business operations
* Work closely with ISC to ensure tight collaboration around operational impacts and coordination efforts
Other duties as required
* Bachelor's Degree and minimum five years experience
* Experience building operational infrastructure for new teams or projects
* Experience working in a complex, decentralized financial organization, improving systems and working across teams to build operational efficiencies
* Experience with enterprise application deployment, system development life-cycle processes, and business process improvement
* Ability to understand business and technical issues and alternatives, and facilitate problem solving and issue resolution within and across these modalities, including phases of fit-gap analysis, system design and configuration, security design, system integration, data conversion options, testing, training, reporting, requirements tracking, and business process improvement
* Experience supervising a team, effectively managing business or technical staff, and coordinating the work of consultants/vendor resources
* Experience as a collaborative and supportive member of a team working to accomplish project goals
* Ability to deal with trade-offs, conflict, and change management in a collaborative and positive manner
* Ability to utilize disciplined project management methodologies and tools, such as project management systems, issue tracking, risk management, and requirements management systems; ability to develop efficient project procedures and quality control methods
* Knowledge and experience preparing for and managing organizational change
* Ability to communicate clearly, in writing and orally, to both technical and non-technical audiences
*Experience communicating with senior management and technical staff on critical project issues
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
* Experience in a large university, medical center or other large enterprise
* Master's degree
* Experience with ERP implementations
* Experience with UW financial and HR/payroll systems
* Experience with Workday
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Application Process: The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.