Job no: 496208 Position type: Full-Time 9-Month Department: 020100 - School of Architecture Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS Categories: Faculty Position Open Date: Sep 25 2017
The School of Architecture (housed in the College of Architecture, Art + Design) is a 5-year bachelor of architecture (B.Arch) degree granting program engaged in the issues of our time. We offer unique opportunities for innovative teaching, creative research, and substantive interdisciplinary collaboration; including the pioneering Collaborative Studios with the Building Construction Science program in the College. We pursue these commitments with a diverse faculty, all of whom teach both in the design studios and in the area of their specialization. We are deeply committed to the challenges of twenty-first century architecture; ecological and cultural sustainability, craft of making and building, collaborative practice and integrated project delivery, as well as creativity, criticality, and abstraction. All of these issues are intertwined in our research and teaching.
Area of Specialization:
Anticipated Appointment Date:
August 16, 2018
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Successful candidate(s) will be expected to teach in various levels of architectural design studios, and to teach and engage in scholarly research in one of the three core areas noted above.
Successful candidate(s) will have a 9-month appointment. The faculty workload consists of teaching an equivalent of nine (9) credit-hours per semester. Typical teaching responsibilities will be 2 classes in both the Fall and Spring semesters (consisting of one 6 credit-hour studio course and one 3 credit-hour lecture course per semester). Since this is 9 credit hours, or 75% percent of the total workload, the remaining 25% percent of time will be devoted to the pursuit of creative and/or scholarly research.
Service (and outreach) contributions and assignments are considered an integral part of teaching activities and therefore are not usually designated as a separate time allocation.
Professional architectural degree and a master's degree in architecture or related field.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
Professional architectural registration or a PhD degree in a related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Successful candidate(s) will have qualifications to support design-studio teaching (in a NAAB accredited program) and have an established research agenda in one of the following areas: 1) Active Building Systems; 2) History and Theory; or 3) Digital Design.
All applications should be addressed to: Prof. Jassen Callender, Faculty Search Committee Chair, School of Architecture, Mississippi State University. Application PDF package must include: 1) Cover letter with a statement describing the candidate's approach to teaching design studio along with areas of teaching, research, and creative objectives; 2) Curriculum vitae; 3) PDF Portfolio of scholarly and/or creative work; and 4) List of three references with telephone and email addresses. [NOTE: Portfolio MUST be packaged in one single PDF file; file size must be 25MB or smaller; do not upload 'zipped' files.]
Review of materials will begin on January 1 and continue until the position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Internal Number: 496208
About Mississippi State University
Mississippi State University represents the highest level of research activity for doctorate-granting institutions and is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as an R1-Very High Research Activity University. Also, a National Science Foundation “Top 100” research University, MSU shelters a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious honor society, and values the talents of our distinguished faculty, staff, and student scholars. Here, a culture of inclusion is fostered and we’re driven each day to make a difference at the local, state, regional, national and global levels. At Mississippi State University we invite you to join us as we continue our momentum in research, teaching, and service.
To apply, please go to http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/