Founded in 1952, Norwood School is a coeducational, independent day school with approximately 450 students in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. The School sits on 38 beautiful and expansive acres in Bethesda, Maryland, less than six miles from Washington, D.C. As one of the finest PK-8 schools in the country, Norwood sets the bar high and is committed to educating the whole child in a diverse, student-centered, challenging, and nurturing environment, which continually promotes equity, inclusion and cultural competence.
Norwood’s child-centered education and its very intentional emphasis on being a happy place of learning create an environment where each individual child is loved, nurtured, challenged, and truly known. As a result, children flourish at Norwood. They love learning; they are creative and critical thinkers. They are confident in who they are, and they feel safe taking risks. They are kind and caring people, who, fueled by our motto, How you lead your life matters, make helping others a priority in their lives. At the end of their eighth grade year, our graduates leave Norwood exceptionally well prepared for high school and empowered to make positive contributions to our world.
Norwood has an opening for an experienced, dynamic Director of Admission and Enrollment Management beginning on July 1, 2020. This position leads two Assistant Directors of Admission in managing all aspects of recruitment and admission for Norwood School. The Director of Admission and Enrollment Management must exhibit excellent interpersonal, leadership, organizational, collaborative, and written and oral communication skills, demonstrate a strong marketing expertise (particularly in the area of digital marketing), and possess the following qualities and attributes: enthusiasm, creativity, initiative, confidence, humor, and commitment to excellence. Due to the online nature of admission and communication work, the candidate must also possess strong computer skills and be tech savvy.
The Director exercises strategic and data-driven thinking, leadership, creativity, marketing and administrative skills to develop and implement, in collaboration with other key administrators, a strategic enrollment plan for the School with the goal of maintaining capacity enrollment of qualified students. Essential job functions:
• Provide overall leadership for the process of attracting, enrolling, and retaining students including oversight of the admission’s process from point of inquiry to enrollment
• Establish annual admission strategy, in alignment with the School’s mission, to meet enrollment targets and other identified goals
• Manage enrollment/retention in close connection with the Head of School, Division Heads and Business Manager
• Inspire all constituencies of the school community—alumni, trustees, faculty, staff, students, and parents—to promote the School and to participate in the student recruitment and retention processes
• Ensure that all prospective families have a positive experience and favorable impression of Norwood throughout the admission process
• Develop and lead implementation of the admission marketing plan
• Work in collaboration with the Director of Communications to adhere to brand identity guidelines and messaging in all admission materials and content
• Manage analytics and data to inform admission marketing decisions and programs
• Understand the culture and climate of the School and the broader educational landscape
• Update and maintain all admission publications and the admission presence on the website
• Plan and organize recruitment events including open houses, fairs, and other gatherings for potential applicants
• Maintain and present statistical and trend data related to admission, enrollment, and diversity to Head of School, Board of Trustees, Admin Team, and Faculty
• Keep administration and faculty informed with respect to all admission issues and needs
• Oversee admission committee process and manage selection of new students
• Serve on the Admin Team
• Assist the Head of School with other duties as assigned
The Director of Admission and Enrollment Management is a full-time, 12-month, benefitseligible position. An appreciation for Norwood School’s commitment to academic and personal excellence, values, and diversity is essential. Previous admission and marketing experience required. Ravenna and Blackbaud database experience highly preferred.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Matthew Gould, Head of School, at [email protected] No phone calls, please.
Norwood School does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Norwood School
We welcome your interest in a career at Norwood School, a coeducational independent school serving approximately 440 students in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. Our school is conveniently located on 38 beautiful acres in Bethesda, Maryland, just outside of Washington, D.C. Norwood School’s child-centered program inspires confident, compassionate, independent, and creative thinkers who embrace lifelong learning. We are committed to attracting and retaining exceptional faculty and staff to carry out this mission. We seek talented and experienced individuals who celebrate and respect childhood, know how to blend traditional teaching methods with 21st century resources, and are excited about incorporating character education and service to the community in their work with students. Embracing diversity is integral to the School’s tradition that recognizes the worth of each member of the community. Norwood does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law. We provide competitive salaries, excellent benefits, professional development, and tuition remission for children of full-time faculty and staff.