Join a growing public media organization in one of the most awe-inspiring areas of the country - the heart of the snowcapped Rocky Mountains.
We seek a sharp, curious, hard-working, team-oriented person who is excited by new media ideas, experimenting, and helping to grow an evolving organization that has deep community roots and a large audience. Our culture is friendly and familiar, but professional with high standards.
Two daily papers in our area offer a unique opportunity to Aspen Public Radio to focus on stories not being told and deepening and contextualizing those in the public eye. Our listener area is unique and nuanced, with economic diversity, world-class recreation, and an engaged public.
Who We Are Looking For
We seek a person who is passionate about local news and audio and digital storytelling and cares deeply about connecting with the community in a way that continually improves our news coverage and public service. This means cultivating sources, communicating in a timely and respectful way, preparing for interviews by conducting in-depth research, and getting to know our region outside of press releases, government agendas, and event calendars.
The ideal candidate will be a journalist who can take pride in being the “voice” of the station during our highest-rated daypart, and is dedicated to connecting with listeners through their hosting.
• Prepare daily morning newscasts, check the NPR rundown, transition between segments with weather and other information, run promotional spots, and communicate with listeners during our critical Morning Edition host shift.
• Produce interviews and unique, sound-rich feature stories weekly, as well as required daily spot news
• Cultivate a vast pool of sources throughout the Roaring Fork Valley to create thoughtful, meaningful, original content
• Produce high-quality, accurate and ethical reporting
• Create useful digital content, including web posts for all stories, and consistent social media reporting
• Work with the news team and regional NPR editors on regular participation in nationalizing a local story
• Serve as a peer editor when needed • Host special broadcasts as required, and have a keen ability to report breaking news
• Attend major donor and other station events, participate in on-air fund drives
• Report/produce non-daily news including special series, podcasts and projects
• Other duties as assigned
• At least one year of professional journalism experience and in-depth knowledge of the ethics and practices of journalism
• Experience working on audio (Audition or similar) and digital platforms
• Editing experience
• Deep understanding of the purpose and mission of public broadcasting
• Strong time management skills; ability to meet deadlines regularly
• Excellent collaboration skills
• On-air reporting experience
• Public radio experience
• Knowledge of Western Slope Colorado and issues of the West
• Demonstrated content collaboration experience
• Experience with editing both written scripts and audio drafts
• Experience with live radio
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, references, one hosting example, and two audio reporting examples to [email protected] with Morning Edition Host/Reporter in the subject line. The application deadline is May 10, 2020. No phone calls, please.
This is a full-time salaried position reporting to the News Director requiring availability for weekend, day, evening, and holiday shifts. Full-year residence in Aspen or downvalley communities is required. Aspen Public Radio offers full-time staff benefits, including employerpaid health insurance, 403(b) match, and paid vacation. A housing stipend, ski pass financing, shared passes to the Aspen Recreation Center, and world-class events such as the Aspen Film Festival, Aspen Institute Ideas Festival, and Classical Music Festival are provided.
This position is located at our Aspen, CO studios. Aspen Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.
About Aspen Public Radio
The Roaring Fork Valley's NPR station
BACK TO TOP
MPA Career Center is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else MPA has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at MPA Career Center.