1)Â Work closely with business analysts and subject matter experts to understand data analysis requirements, data definitions, and to develop data mappings, data rules, and data transformations for reporting related to a particular data warehouse and/or analytic subject area.
2) Finalize the conceptual data models developed by the BI Lead, most often a dimensional model with facts and dimensions. Document and communicate model design to project team.Â
3) Development of logical data models. Â Document, communicate, and maintain model design for the project team.Â
4) Design and implementation of physical databases including index definitions, partitioning, parallelism, tuning, and space management. Â
5) Utilize database design and documentation tools to document, analyze, and communicate database information.
6) Design DW security.
7) Implement test and QA strategies and prepare for roll out, including assuring data validation and integrity.
8) Coordinate development resources to ensure that project timelines are met.
ETL Design, Development and Maintenance 1) Design the ETL processing modules based on transformation rules, mapping rules, processing requirements and database model.Â 2) Design the ETL auditing steps to ensure data integrity and completeness of the ETL process.Â 3) Design the ETL process flow including module dependencies and parallel processing opportunities. 4) Provide documentation for and work with job scheduling team to automate ETL processing. 5) Design the programming specifications for each ETL component. 6)Â Design of testing plans for each phase of the development process. Plans must ensure accuracy and quality of program code as well as thorough data validation procedures. 7) Develop efficient code that meets analysis and design criteria. 8) Coordinate ETL development resources to ensure that project timelines are met.
Support and maintain analytic systems and related architecture
1)Â Provide break-fix support and communicate outages as defined by IT Services standards 2) Troubleshoot and tune DW and analytic systems 3) Coordinate testing of software patches and upgrades
Strategy and Planning 1) Work closely with BIS colleagues to implement DW best practices, supporting integration of information from different subject areas. 2) Promulgate DW, ETL and related development standards, processes, and best practices throughout BIS. 3) Participate in the selection of DW, ETL and related enabling tools, including software and consulting. 4) Deep expertise in DW, ETL and analytic systems best practices and emerging trends is imperative.
1) Excellent analytic skills to quickly synthesize technical, functional, and user inputs, and manage problem-solving to issue resolution.Â 2)Â Expertise with data query, analysis, reporting techniques, and OLAP.Â
3) Expertise in Database Design and tools (e.g. Power Designer or Erwin).Â Â
4)Â Expertise to develop and administer UNIX-based relational database architectures ( ODBC, JDBC, Perl DBI, shell scripting, PL/SQL, SQL Developer, SQL Plus, SQL Loader, TOAD, Java). 5)Â Expert skills in data profiling, source-target mapping, implementation of transformations and business rules. 6)Â Superior ETL design and development skills including maps, process flows, auditing, and scheduling using vendor tools (OWB, ODI, Data Stage, or Informatica). 7)Â Expertise in SQL coding techniques, performance monitoring and tuning. 8)Â Working with Unix Server, and Windows Workstation and Server environments. 9)Â Microsoft Office application suite, especially Excel.
10)Â Joint design sessions, documenting the results using business process design tools. 11)Â Strong oral and written and oral communication skills, including to develop standards and procedures, and present technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
12)Â Commitment to working and sharing expertise in a collaborative team environment. 13)Â Strong sense of accountability for completing work within defined scope and timeline, with ability to multi-task effectively. 14)Â Very high attention to detail and accuracy. Â Â Â Â
15)Â Knowledge of reporting and analytic systems based on current-generation ERP systems.Â 16)Â Familiarity with Business Objects.Â 17)Â Familiarity with Higher Ed administrative systems and data.Â Â
1) Standard office environment
2) Outdoor exposure to weather
3) on-call responsibilities
1) Ability to sit for short or extended time periods
2) Ability to extensively use computer
3) Ability to make repetitive wrist, hand or finger movements
4) Ability to see, including color, depth perception, or clarity
1) Bachelor's degree.Â 2)Â Advanced study or professional certifications in database, data management, DW, or ETL disciplines.
1) Minimum seven years of database and application development experience with a formal software development life cycle. 2)Â Minimum three years Hadoop experience with Cloudera tool. 3) Minimum five years of data warehouse development experience including expert knowledge of data warehousing methodologies (e.g. Kimball). 4)Â Minimum four years of experience Â designing and building dimensional data warehouses with Oracle db, Oracle Stored Procedures and Packages. 5)Â Minimum of four years or more designing and developing ETL processes for data warehouse implementations using Oracle OWB or equivalent ETLÂ tools. 6)Â Experience as lead DW/ETL designer on two successful enterprise data warehouse initiatives, using both formal software life-cycle development and project management. 7)Â Minimum two years of experience working within the ITIL framework including incident, service, problem, and change management processes and procedures. 8)Â Minimum four years of experience designing and building ETL using ODI. 9) Experience with Job Schedulers (e.g. ESP). 10) Minimum four years of experience designing and building Data Warehouse systems using Oracle and VPD. 11) Experience with programming in environments, languages, and systems built using (C, C++, Java).
2) Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Internal Number: JR08010
About University of Chicago (UC)
One of the world's premier academic and research institutions, the University of Chicago has driven new ways of thinking since our 1890 founding. Today, UChicago is an intellectual destination that draws inspired scholars to our Hyde Park and international campuses, keeping UChicago at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change the world.