Job PurposeTowson University is accepting applications for an Instructional Designer/Technologist in the growing Faculty Academic Center for Excellence at Towson (FACET). This professional will assist faculty with course development, the use of instructional strategies, and integration of instructional technologies using evidence-based teaching and learning techniques to support student success.
Develop and facilitate face-to-face activities, blended instruction, and online courses. Research and support adoption and diffusion of the latest technologies into the instructional process. Coach faculty through the development and revision of online courses. Lead reviews of online and blended courses (using the Quality Matters rubric). Assist with the revision and implementation of an online course review program and facilitate Quality Matters workshops. Develop and lead new initiatives in collaboration with the FACET team and the faculty community. Assess activities for improvement.
Candidates will be asked to provide examples of personally designed teaching materials or learning objects and uses of instructional technology in teaching.
• Bachelor degree or higher in instructional design, instructional technology, education, or related field.
• Master’s degree in any field.
• At least two years of experience as a full-time teacher, faculty member, or a combination thereof.
• Experience designing online or blended instruction, preferably in a K-12 school or with higher education credit-bearing courses.
• Knowledge of best practices for the effective implementation of instructional technology tools. • Proficiency in supporting various software and applications, with a technical competence that allows for quick adaptation and ability to support new technologies and innovations. • Ability to navigate and understand new technologies and a strong grasp of educational technologies. • Proven project management skills, and ability to work with teams. • Knowledge of learning theory and pedagogical best practices. • Ability to interpret client needs, commitment to customer service, and effective negotiation and diplomacy skills. • Strong written and presentation skills and attention to detail. • Strong critical thinking and troubleshooting skills. • Ability to search quickly and independently for resolutions as needed. • Ability to work independently and as part of a team to support faculty.
Preferred • Experience as a higher education instructor. • Both in-person and online teaching experience. • Master’s degree or higher in instructional design, instructional technology, education, or related field. • Quality Matters Peer Reviewer certification. • Advanced skills in using educational technologies. • Advanced experience with Blackboard or other Learning Management Systems.
A Criminal Background Investigation is required for the hired candidate and the results may impact employment.
Salary and BenefitsCompetitive salary and full University benefits that include 22 days of annual leave, up to 14 holidays, personal and sick days; excellent health, life, and retirement plans; and tuition remission. To learn more about our benefits, click here.
This position will be open for a minimum of 14 days. Cover letter and resume are requested, but not required.
Internal Number: 190000I2
About Towson University
The largest comprehensive university in the Baltimore area, Towson University is nationally recognized for its excellent programs in the arts and sciences, communications, business, health professions, education, fine arts and computer information systems. Located in suburban Towson, eight miles north of Baltimore, our beautifully landscaped, 328-acre setting offers a pleasant environment for study and a diverse campus life, as well as easy access to a wealth of university and community resources. Towson University's educational experience branches out to off-campus locations throughout Maryland, including a number of online options. Our many interdisciplinary partnerships with public and private organizations throughout Maryland provide opportunities for research, internships and jobs. Towson University is a founding member of the Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU).