Wheatland Electric is looking for a creative individual to fill the position of Social Media Specialist. This is a full-time position. If qualified and interested in this position, email a cover letter and resume to [email protected] Please put “Social Media” in the subject line.
The job description follows.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To represent the Cooperative in multiple communication platforms, including social media, and Cooperative events and increase Cooperative brand awareness through these platforms. This position will promote a positive public image of the Cooperative and control the dissemination of information on behalf of the Cooperative.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: a) Uses company assets and media channels to market Cooperative services and keep its employees, members and the public informed about the Cooperative. b) Responsible for managing the content of the Cooperative website, Intranet and social media platforms. c) Develop, implement and manage the Cooperative’s Social Media strategy that includes social media content creation and media outreach. d) Provide creative support for internal and external communication efforts including print publications, websites, electronic communication, community engagement, media and video productions. e) Define most important social media Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) . f) Execute research related to social media platform and advertising updates, and new tools and applications. g) Create/coordinate graphics, photos, video as necessary to enhance postings. h) Identify target demographics and specific channels for optimal outreach. i) Develop and implement multiple engagement strategies. j) Conduct online research to support goals, audit online accuracy and competitors, and monitor/control brand reputation. k) Monitor Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and user engagement. l) Collaborate with the Member Services team to ensure campaigns are on strategy, time, and budget. m) Daily content postings and response as the social media voice of the Cooperative. n) Postings as necessary during outages and emergencies to include after-hours and Holidays. o) Ensure consistency of messaging across multiple online channels using social media marketing tools such as Hootsuite or Buffer. p) Monitor and report key analytics and adjustment strategies to meet goals. q) Assist with planning, and attending, Member Services events, such as Cram the Van, Capital Credits Harvest Day, Annual Meeting, Employee Appreciation Events, and Member Engagement Meetings r) Assist in the monthly KCL centerspread. Assist in creating and editing all KCL content. Assist the Member Services team in planning content and organizing member meetings for the member spotlight. s) Assist in researching and drafting articles for social media, Cooperative website and blog. t) Assist in writing press releases and distribute to local media outlets, as well as posting on the website. u) Assist in creating or finding content for the Key Account Monthly Newsletter. Responsible for monthly electronic distribution of the Key Account Monthly Newsletter. v) Craft internal company-wide messages. w) Coordinate with video production and/or video projects for use on social media or at Cooperative events. x) Develop and maintain relationships with the local media, including newspaper and radio outlets. y) Read and research current issues facing electric cooperatives and their impact on the Cooperative, its members and its communities. z) Participate in training programs relating to position and Member Services. aa) Develop and advise Manager of Member Services and Corporate Communications of methods and opportunities to enhance the Cooperative and departmental goals. bb) Participates in safety meetings and training programs as required. cc) Be able to travel to different locations within, and outside of, the Cooperative for training, meetings, and conferences.
MINIMUM JOB SPECIFICATIONS
• EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: An Associate Degree in Marketing, Communications, or related field plus 4 years of experience in writing, editing, and designing to include online platforms; or a Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Communications or related field, plus a minimum of 2 years of experience in writing, editing, and designing to include online platforms. Experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook and PowerPoint is required. Experience with best practices in the use of, and a thorough understanding of the functionality of, social media channels such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, is required. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), Adobe Acrobat Pro, and Google Analytics is preferred. Experience with online/digital marketing and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) best practices is preferred.
• SKILLS AND ABILITIES Required a) Ten Key Skills – Fine finger dexterity and the ability to use a ten-key calculator and a ten-key pad on a computer keyboard quickly and accurately. b) Typing Skills – Fine finger dexterity and the ability to type quickly and accurately to create correspondence and step-by-step instructions. c) Computer Skills – The ability to use a computer and its corresponding accessories including a mouse, keyboard and monitor. This also includes the ability to learn new software as needed. d) Microsoft Office Suite – Proficiency in Word, Outlook and PowerPoint. e) Social Media Platforms – Proficient in the use of a variety of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Also, a thorough understanding of social media channels best practices and a thorough understanding of functionality. f) Communication – Communicating effectively, tactfully, and courteously in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience. This includes using proper grammar and punctuation. The ability to verbally convey information tactfully and courteously to others in a way they can understand. This includes the ability to tailor your communication style to a wide variety of individuals inside and outside of the Cooperative. The ability to listen and interpret what individuals are asking/telling you. g) Member Service – Knowledge of principles and processes for providing exceptional member service. Ability to resolve complex and sensitive member service problems while remaining calm and professional during member contacts that can be high stress and verbally abusive. h) Public Relations Concepts – Specific knowledge of public relations concepts and communications methods. The ability to identify potential negative or crisis situations and apply conflict resolution principles to mitigate issues with direction from upper management. i) Confidentiality – The ability to maintain confidential Cooperative and member information. j) Research Skills – The ability to research content related to the Cooperative. k) Interpretation of Regulations – The ability to interpret and stay within the confines of copyright laws. l) Data Analysis – The ability to take raw data and inspect it, clean it, and transform it into useful information. m) Self-Development – The ability to independently search out learning opportunities to expand and update member service knowledge. n) Decisiveness – The ability to quickly make decisions on how to respond to social media comments with direction from upper management. o) Low Supervision – Requires the mental capability to perform job responsibilities with little or no supervision. p) Problem Solving Skills - The process of working through details of a problem to reach a solution. Problem solving may include mathematical or systematic operations. q) Organization – The ability to keep files, schedules and projects organized. r) Detail Oriented – The ability to pay attention to details. s) Time Management – Managing one's own time. t) Mathematics – Using mathematics to solve problems. u) Ability to pass pre-employment drug test. Also have the ability to pass ongoing random drug and alcohol testing. v) Ability to pass a background check.
Preferred a) Online/Digital Marketing – Knowledge of how to create and post online/digital marketing ads. b) Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – Knowledge of SEO best practices. c) Publication Production and Graphic Design Software – Ability to use various computer programs for publication production and graphic presentations to include, but not limited to, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and web building programs to design ads, articles, and posts that incorporate photography and graphics. d) Adobe Acrobat Pro – Ability to use Adobe Acrobat Pro to scan documents into PDF form. Also, the ability to use Adobe Acrobat Pro to modify or create documents. e) Google Analytics – Knowledge of how to use Google Analytics effectively. f) Camera Usage – Working knowledge of still and video camera usage. g) Photography/Video Editing – Basic photography/video editing skills and design skills. h) Skype – The ability to communicate via instant messaging using Skype. i) Snag-It – The ability to use the Snag-It program to take screen shots for use in presentation materials. j) Cooperative Knowledge – Knowledge of the Cooperative’s philosophy and objectives.
• WORKING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to Manager of Member Services and Corporate Communications. Works with employees, members, vendors, civic and government entities, and school groups.
• WORK ENVIRONMENT: Works both inside and outside. Inside time will be spent in an office environment of sedentary work, with normal temperatures and normal conversation noise levels. Outside environment includes extreme temperatures (35 to 110 degrees F), in ice, snow, rain, sun, high humidity, dust, dirt. etc.
• PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The position will require long periods of sitting, repetitive motion, and prolonged viewing and use of computer, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It will also require some talking, listening, standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, walking, reaching, pushing, pulling, driving and/or traveling, and lifting up to 25 lbs. Ability to spend 75% of time utilizing a computer and keyboard and 25% of time driving to various Cooperative locations or community events.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY USED: The position will require the knowledge and use of a desktop computer, laptop, cell phone, iPad, camera, and visual media equipment such as projectors, projector screens, and HDMI connecting cords for use with large television screens. It will also require the use of office equipment, such as calculators, scanners, copiers, printers, network telephone systems, binding machines, and mail machines.
POSITION TYPE: This position is full-time and expected to be available during, and periodically, outside of, normal business hours (to include Holidays, evenings, and weekends) required with or without notice. TRAVEL: The position requires the Communications/Social Media Specialist to travel to various Cooperative locations and territories regularly throughout the year. Some traveling will also be required to attend training. Some overnight travel will be required.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES: Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned or added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” employment relationship.
Wheatland is E.O.E.
Additional Salary Information: Health Insurance
Group Term Life Insurance
Long Term Disability Insurance
About Wheatland Electric Cooperative Inc
Wheatland Electric Cooperative, Inc., was established in 1948 as a distribution and power cooperative, in the State of Kansas to provide a vitally needed service for the member consumers which they, as members, could not provide on an individual basis. Today, Wheatland Electric serves more than 33,000 electric meters in 14 different counties in Kansas and parts of 2 counties in Colorado and maintains over 4000 miles of distribution power lines across Western Kansas.
Wheatland saw a need to supply the Garden City, Ks area with quality water in 2000 and founded Wheatland Water.
In 2002, Wheatland Electric’s attitude of the founding members brought the need for fast reliable broadband internet service to our West Kansas residents and today we serve more than 3,000 members.
Together, with the help of our members, Wheatland Electric is committed to building a better and stronger rural America.