The Education Policy Innovation Collaborative (EPIC) at Michigan State University (MSU) is seeking a Research Specialist to join EPIC to work on externally-funded multi-year projects. EPIC is a policy lab located within the College of Education. EPIC partners with state and school district leaders to produce rigorous and objective multi-methods research with consequence that strengthens evidence-based decision-making for practice and policy in Michigan, with implications for historically disadvantaged students throughout the country.
The Research Specialist will join the EPIC team to work on one or more externally-funded EPIC research projects. The EPIC team includes Drs. Katharine Strunk and Josh Cowen (EPIC co-directors), EPIC Managing Director, staff researchers, several affiliated faculty, postdoctoral associates and doctoral students.
Duties for the Research Specialist will include:
· Leading all center-wide operational data managmement needs including cleaning, organizing, and preparing administrative data sets received from partners and collected by EPIC researchers;
· Coordinating data transfers and acting as the primary organizational contact with our data partners to ensure timely data receipt;
· Maintain data agreements and data security;
· Creating data documentation and maintaining the server directory;
· Providing data expertise, training and professional development to other EPIC researchers;
· Ensuring all EPIC research projects have data needed for successful completion;
· Assisting EPIC researchers with project analysis and reporting;
· Responding to ad hoc data and analysis requests, both internal and external;
· Producing data summaries, tables and visualzations.
The Research Specialist will oversee doctoral students and postdoctoral and staff researchers at EPIC. We are seeking a person who is excited to be a member of a dynamic and motivated group, and who is driven by a desire to produce both rigorous and policy-relevant research aimed a driving improvement for Michigan students.
The positions, which include benefits, are fixed term annual, 100%-time position beginning February 21, 2020 with the potential for renewals in the College of Education.
Michigan State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Michigan State University is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.
· A Ph.D. in education, public policy, statistics, data science, social science or another data intensive field;
· Significant expertise with STATA statistical software;
· Expertise in standard econometric models and techniques;
· Experience with large-scale quantitative data management and analysis. Demonstrated familiarity with the processing and organization of data for research, including file structures and record layouts;
· Experience planning and executing quality assurance/data validation systems for very large data sets and complex analyses;
· Demonstrated knowledge or interest in partner-orientated education research;
· Extreme attention to detail and strong organizational skills;
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite products;
· Ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities with little supervision, as well as maintain flexibility.
· Research project management, including developing and maintaining project timelines with contingency plans, coordinating the work of others and ensuring project deliverables are met;
· Experience coordinating data intake and analysis activities across a large team;
· Experience producing policy-relevant reports and documents;
· Experience producing and presenting project-based presentations;
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
Required Application Materials
Interested candidates should send: 1) a letter of application stating qualifications for and reasons for interest in this position; 2) current resume or curriculum vitae; and 3) the names and contact information for three references. We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Internal Number: 633925
About Michigan State University
Spartans work every day to advance the common good in uncommon ways.Together, we tackle some of the world?s toughest problems to find solutions that make life better?from alternative energy to better food safety to breakthrough medical and environmental applications achieved through rare isotope research.We teach. We explore and we discover. We collaborate and lead. We innovate, inspire, and empower. We achieve our potential and create circumstances that help our students and others achieve theirs.We're good at it, and we've been at it for more than 150 years.The nation?s pioneer land-grant university, MSU began as a bold experiment that democratized higher education and helped bring science and innovation into everyday life. The revolutionary concept became a model for the nation.Today, MSU is one of the top research universities in the world?on one of the biggest, greenest campuses in the nation. Home to nationally ranked and recognized academic, residential college, and service-learning programs, we?re a diverse community of dedicated students and scholars, athletes and artists, scientists and leaders.In ways both practical and profound, we work to create a stronger, more sustainable, and more hopeful future for all.