1) Support development and logistical coordination of educational training and outreach programs in accordance with the PME outreach mission, guidelines, and expectations
2) Support delivery of educational training and outreach workshops, may include taking a lead in certain workshops and/or activities
3) Maintain clear and effective communication with fellow administrators, program participants, guest speakers, and school administrators and teachers
4) Support graduate student program participants in developing hands-on educational activities for middle school and high school students
5) Assist in coordination and delivery of science communication workshops and outreach activities, including overseeing space reservations, catering, materials ordering
6) Document and track PME educational training and outreach efforts for marketing, program assessment, and grant writing
7) Track graduate student and post-doctoral scholar participation in PME educational workshops and outreach activities
8) Support the collection and analysis of program evaluation data (quantitative and qualitative), as well as implementation of revisions based on evaluation findings and recommendations
9) Engage in reflective practice with outreach team members by contributing to regular internal evaluation, creative idea-generation and problem-solving, and planning
1) Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking
2) Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
3) Ability to handle public contacts with courtesy, clarity, and diplomacy
4) Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and information with absolute discretion
5) Ability to maintain calm and courteous demeanor and to work productively despite heavy workload, competing priorities, complex problems, and tight deadlines
6) Excellent problem-solving skills
7) Considerable skill in working both independently and as a team member
8) Ability to take initiative and organize and complete projects with minimal supervision
1) Bachelorâ™s degree, preferable in a STEM or education field
2) Masters in a STEM, education, or policy field
1) Experience developing and delivering professional development programs for higher education and professional audiences (undergraduate and graduate students, postdocs, K-12 teachers, etc.)
2) Understanding of and experience translating STEM research into accessible and engaging content for middle and high school student audiences
3) Experience and/or training in science communication practices and strategies
4) Familiarity with student-centered, experiential approach to science education
5) Familiarity with Chicago Public Schools and middle-high school curricular scope and sequence
6) Proven track record of managing projects and deadlines with a high level of detail; excellent project management, planning, and organizational skills
1) Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Internal Number: JR07782
About University of Chicago
One of the world's premier academic and research institutions, the University of Chicago has driven new ways of thinking since our 1890 founding. Today, UChicago is an intellectual destination that draws inspired scholars to our Hyde Park and international campuses, keeping UChicago at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change the world.