Required Qualifications (As evidenced by an attached resume):
Bachelor's Degree (foreign equivalent or higher). In lieu of a degree, four (4) years of directly related full-time experience or a combination of higher education and experience totaling four years may be considered. Three (3) years of professional experience related to building operations and/or facilities management. Two (2) years of management and supervisory experience. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, to include building excel spreadsheets and Computerized Maintenance Management System. Must have, keep and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver's License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations
Additional two (2) years of facilities management experience. Additional two (2) years of supervisory experience. Two (2) years of project management experience. One (1) year of full time experience in parking garage operations and/or parking management. Two (2) years of customer service experience. Experience developing parking plans. Experience coordinating with collective bargaining units.
Brief description of duties:
The Transportation & Parking Manager is responsible for providing daily supervision of the parking garage operation at Stony Brook University, including providing contractor performance, staff supervisory functions, access control, facilities management duties, and running parking garage systems. Additionally, this position will handle the University's special event parking operations. The successful incumbent must work with a diverse population in a high pressure environment and knowledge of business management practices. The ideal candidate has strong customer service skills, as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills with an overriding concern for customers.
- Directly supervise daily parking garage and surface parking lot operations, including managing the Parking Garage Operator contractor, Parking Garage software/hardware vendors, special event staffing contractor, and other parking-related vendors to ensure parking areas meet the needs of the University community.
- Manage multiple projects by tracking project costs and monitoring project progression with a focus on ensuring project deadlines and scope are met and information is appropriately communicated to all stakeholders.
- Report on parking vendor performance to administration, other SBU department (such as accounting, etc.) and Procurement.
- Directly supervise Parking Garage Operator Site Manager, all parking garage staff, including office, maintenance, greeting and cashier staff daily.
- Serve as the Facilities Manager for all SBU parking garage, surface parking lots, paid parking areas, and identify any facilities maintenance issues within such areas and facilitate remediation as necessary.
- Report on and analyze financial reporting, cash flow statements and general operations of the parking garage and surface parking lots and serve as a liaison to the Accounting/Bursar Departments when necessary.
- Responsible for all cashier cash collections within parking garages, as well for transport of revenues, collections and documents as necessary.
- Recommend and implement policies and procedures for parking garages and surface lots at SBU.
- Ensure parking garage and all surface parking lot equipment hardware and software systems (parking access revenue control systems, gate hardware, parking garage software, metered lot pay stations, metered lot management software, gated surface parking lots) remains operational.
- Provide technical assistance in the operation, repair and maintenance of all parking access revenue control systems, pay stations and gated parking lots and have the ability to troubleshoot equipment hardware and software.
- Ensure the daily reliability and accurate operation of all parking access revenue control systems and limit system downtime.
- Implement all preventative maintenance measures and maintaining documentation for all parking access revenue control systems and related infrastructure.
- Responsible to identify parking access revenue control systems hardware and software vendors, evaluate vendor performance and work with vendors on equipment replacements, ordering parts, maintaining equipment/hardware inventories, tracking receipts and payment information of all parking access revenue control system equipment.
- Handle the University's special event parking operations through the assignment of events to parking lots, providing quote/invoice documentation, ensuring signage needs are met, securing all related special event staffing (either in house and/or via vendor) and working with special event clients. Assist in recommending and implementing policies and procedures for all paid/unpaid parking areas at SBU, and liaise with Parking Enforcement / University Police when necessary.
- Responsible for responding to all customer feedback and complaints, investigating feedback and making recommendations on providing Department responses.
- Responsible for serving as the ambassador of the SBU parking garages and surface parking lots on all client-related issues.
- Responsible for leading the snow, ice and winter weather removal operations/efforts, either by in house means or via contractor(s) for parking garages and surface parking lots.
- Ensure an annual snow removal plan is developed, communicated internally/with vendor(s) and is followed as the need arises.
- Work with in house and/or vendor staff to remediate snow removal issues, damages and communicate with parking clients, as necessary.
- Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission.
This is a full time appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Minimum salary threshold must be met to maintain FLSA exemption.
***Out-of-State Applicants: Please note as a condition of employment and in order for this position to be tendered, the successful incumbent will be required to provide evidence of a valid license and driving abstract from the state issuing the license within five business days of a conditional offer and must obtain a NYS driver's license within 30 days of acceptance of offer.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at
Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock House in East Hampton, New York, the Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University/Research is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage all to apply including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police .
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Transportation and Parking-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Shift: Day Shift Shift Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Pass Days: Sat, Sun
Posting Start Date: Jan 31, 2020
Posting End Date: Mar 2, 2020, 4:59:00 AM
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Salary Grade: SL3
Appointment Type: Term
Internal Number: 2000126
About Stony Brook University
FROM ITS BEGINNINGS A HALF-CENTURY AGO, STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY HAS BEEN CHARACTERIZED by innovation, energy and progress, transforming the lives of people who earn degrees, work and make groundbreaking discoveries here. A dramatic trajectory of growth has turned what was once a small teacher preparation college into an internationally recognized research institution that is changing the world.