1) Provide technical support and day to day administration for the virtualization and storage environments
2) Maintain and support backup solutions for virtual and physical systems
3) Work Â closely Â with Â cross-functional Â departmental Â teams Â to Â provide Â tier Â 2 Â support, Â fulfill Â new Â service Â requests, resolve incidents and problem cases
4) Develop and maintain a library of standard operating procedures documentation
5) Participate in 24/7 on-call support rotation
The following responsibilities represent Virtualization and Storage Administration.
6) Install, patch, configure, upgrade, monitor and support virtualization servers and applications
7) Maintain security patches, firmware updates and updates on servers
8) Work within change management processes and with teams and vendors to communicate, coordinate, and implement required changes and upgrades to hyper converged and virtualization environments
9) Administer server hardware (chassis management, firmware updates)
10) Perform administration tasks and troubleshooting related to the virtual and storage Infrastructures
The following responsibilities represent Backup Administration.
11) Configure, install, and manage backup and archive systems
12) Administer backup system daily to ensure they are successful and consistent
13) Work with business and other technical staff to architect backup and recovery strategies to meet RTO/RPO requirements for new and existing systems
14) Provide documentation for standard operating procedures, fail-over, and DR testing
15) Work with customers to educate on self-service restores
16) Perform regular maintenance for servers, backup software, and storage tools through the installation of software upgrades, patches, and firmware upgrades
The following responsibilities represent System Automation, Research, and Consulting.
17) Participate in research and development projects within organization to assist in overall improvement and optimization of environment
18) Interact effectively and courteously with both technical and non-technical users across all levels of organization
19) Document system design and standard operating procedures and cross train team members
The following responsibilities represent Participation in Team Meeting and Organization Projects.
20) Participate in team, department, and IT Services staff meetings
21) Participate in on-call 24/7 support for problem resolution
22) Prioritize projects and meet deadlines consistently
1) System Administration â“effectively plan, deploy and administer virtualization systems in an enterprise environment
2) Troubleshooting â“strong familiarity with Windows OS, application and hardware troubleshooting
3) Hardware â“familiarity with current Intel/AMD hardware platforms, Blade and rack server architecture and Blade Centers
4) Networking and Storage â“understanding of storage and network protocols/concepts (FC, FCoE, iSCSI, NFS, GigE, TCP/IP, UDP, Ether channel and VLAN configurations.)
5) Documentation â“ compose thorough and clear documentation on routine tasks, standard operating procedures and other documents beneficial to team members
6) Focus â“focus Â on Â delivering Â high Â quality Â service, Â needs Â of Â the Â key Â stakeholders, Â end-users, Â service Â orientation, organizational communications and getting results
7) Listening Â and Â communications â“build Â partnerships/relationships Â through Â listening Â for Â understanding; express Â oneself effectively in all media, with diplomacy, openness and transparency; provide specific and appropriate feedback
8) Initiative Â and Â innovation â“pro-active approach and interest in problem solving; display creative approach to everyday problems, ask good questions, and stimulate ideas; offer creative ideas for improvements and solutions to problems
9) Innovation â“keep abreast of IT trends and technologies and build knowledge and technical expertise
10) Collaborative â“build effective relationships with others; work effectively as a member of a department and/or project team; open to assistance and willingness to assist others; put success of team above own interest
11) Professional â“internalize and act on organizational mission and goals; work effectively across organization and campus community; active Â interest Â in Â The Â University Â and Â IT Â in Â higher Â education; take Â personal Â ownership Â of Â professional development; value and respect differences
12) Decision making / problem solving â“generate pragmatic approaches to addressing issues, challenges, and opportunities; analyze problems; develop and implement effective solutions; make sound business decisions in a timely manner
13) Teamwork â“a strong interest in group dynamics and team building
14) Track down technical issues and resolve them in a timely manner
1) Standard office environment
2) On-call responsibilities
1) Sit for short or extended time periods
2) Stand for short or extended time periods
3) Extensively use computer
4) Make repetitive wrist, hand, or finger movements
1) Bachelorâ™s degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics or related field
1) Minimum two years of relevant experience in a large virtualized environment to include virtual networking and storage management
2)Â Monitoring and maintaining enterprise storage systems
3)Â Designing and engineering commercial Cloud environments, architectures, and designs
4)Â Experience with VMware vCloud Automation Center (VCAC) or VMware vSphere
5) Work experience in large enterprise level virtualized environments
6)Â Experience as a Windows/Linux System Administrator supporting a large Enterprise with knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory, Windows 2008/2012/2016, and Linux/UNIX Operating Systems
7) Experience working with Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor
8) Scripting experience in Microsoft PowerShell, vSphere PowerCLI, and Python
9) Experience in Hyper converged Infrastructure, VXRAIL and VSAN
10) Hands on experience and knowledge in Dell, EMC, VMware, HP, Veeam, AWS
1) VMware Certified Professional (VCP5 or VCP6) certification or Cloud Design certification
Technical Knowledge or Skills 1) Fundamental knowledge of IT networks, firewalls, router technologies 2)Â Understanding of IT project management practices and techniques 3)Â Strong written and oral communication skills 4)Â Strong interpersonal and communications skills, as well as the ability to discuss technical issues with users of varying technical backgrounds 5) HP server products to include HP c-Class Blade Systems, Virtual Connect and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) 6) Knowledge of regulatory compliance hardening policies and procedures
Required Documents 1)Â Â Resume 2)Â Â Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Internal Number: JR07621
About University of Chicago
One of the world's premier academic and research institutions, the University of Chicago has driven new ways of thinking since our 1890 founding. Today, UChicago is an intellectual destination that draws inspired scholars to our Hyde Park and international campuses, keeping UChicago at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change the world.