As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
The UW Finance Transformation Program (UWFT) is a $270M initiative to transform the University’s financial systems and processes, including academic, administrative, and healthcare. The IT scope of UWFT includes replacement of legacy core financial systems with a SaaS solution (Workday) and rationalization of distributed financial systems, reporting, and integrations across hundreds of units. UWFT will fundamentally change the processes and tools that the University employs to track, spend, collect, manage, and report University finances in excess of $7B in annual revenues, resulting in more timely and actionable information for leadership. Among the UW’s highest administrative priorities, this multi-year initiative is one of the largest finance system programs in Washington State and the outcome of the program will be highly visible at all levels of the University, the State, and nationally in higher education.
The UW has an existing Workday platform, utilizing the HCM/Payroll/Benefits modules. This includes a backend infrastructure around security, access, and report development. The UWFT program will be responsible for implementing new financial modules that need to be integrated into the existing platform, and will also need to include significant new functionality for finance.
UWFT has an outstanding opportunity for a Reporting Lead.
Reporting to the Platform Integration Director, the Reporting Lead will serve as the leader to university stakeholders for reporting functionality and data analytics relating to the implementation of the Finance module of the Workday platform. This role will manage the creation of a robust inventory of new reports based on identified UW financial business needs and the remediation of the current HR reports that have financial attributes. More specific responsibilities will include acting as a Workday reporting expert, conducting a thoughtful analysis of evolving requirements and adapting the reporting model to meet the needs of the University. This role will require close collaboration with the current Application Management reporting team to ensure the approach to Workday reporting and analytics are in alignment. This position must develop a deep understanding of the data management landscape at the UW, which includes the UW-IT data management platform, and the UW Medicine reporting environment. This position will work closely with the Director of Platform Integration and the Technical Readiness team to ensure that report development ties into the larger data management strategy for the UW.
The Workday Reports Lead will serve as a strategic application consultant to stakeholders, coordinating closely across all teams within UWFT, UW-IT, UW Medicine and with the ISC to ensure seamless interface. This position will also interface with end-users/administrators to accurately validate reporting requirements. This role will require broad insight into Workday functionality, advanced reporting capabilities and inter-dependencies with other processes and data sources.
Workday Report Management
- Act as a Workday reporting expert, and coordinate closely with technically complex partner organizations across the UW enterprise to ensure data is managed and reported on in a way that meets the UW business needs
- Manage report remediation and report development on behalf of the UWFT program, collaborating closely with the existing Workday platform to ensure reporting is well-coordinated and meets existing business requirements
- Act as a configuration and administration expert for Reporting functionality, providing strategic systems/process guidance to the organization
- Evaluate and assimilate evolving Workday Reporting and analytics functionality, remaining cognizant of complex system inter-dependencies and associated business process implications
- Analyze business problems and processes to identify functional and non-functional solutions supporting the core Reporting needs of the University
- Serve as a strategic consultant to stakeholders of Workday transactional processes
- Collaborate closely with ISC Application Management reporting team to ensure alignment of protocols and standards for facilitating report development in an accurate, efficient and compliant manner
- Leverage broad insight across the spectrum of existing Workday business process, newly developed financial business processes, and technical inter-dependencies, exercising cognizance of foundational reporting design concepts, inter-dependencies with other systems and processes, and end-user implications
- Manage testing of reports in coordination with UWFT technical team and other technical teams within the UW, to include end user acceptance testing
- Maintain productive relationships with designated stakeholders to understand and define reporting policies, procedures and established standards
Team Oversight and Project Management
- Build a highly functional team of Report Developers to ensure business reporting needs are met and end users are operational at go-live and beyond
- Work closely with consulting resources to leverage methodology and expertise in order to build a highly efficient team and work process
- Build highly functional relationships with partner organizations, including the ISC, UW-IT, UW Medicine, the Office of Research and UW Finance to ensure coordination of data management strategies and execution
- Support training activities, including input on content and training of end users as needed
- Support communication of reporting enhancements/updates and known issues, helping to coordinate communication to existing end users as needed
Bachelor's degree in Finance, Human Resources, Business Administration, Information Science, Computer Science or related area and six years experience
Experience working in the reporting domain with increasing responsibilities in project management and lead responsibilities
Experience working with enterprise systems and the configuration and maintenance thereof, including working specifically with the Reporting needs of the Workday (or similar ERP) application
Requires extensive experience analyzing complex business processes and configuring associated enabling functionality
Ability to understand business and technical design considerations and facilitate problem solving/issue resolution in the context of a customer service framework
Understanding of reporting requirements/implications for integration processes
Demonstrated success in facilitating work groups
Ability to communicate clearly, in writing and in verbal presentations, to both technical and non-technical audiences
Ability to create and assimilate business process documentation and reporting specifications
Extensive experience interacting with customers, including resolution of complex inquiries and efficient performance during high-volume timeframes
Experience supporting system testing and/or data validation activities
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Master’s degree in Finance, Human Resources, Business Administration, Information Science, Computer Science, or related field
Experience playing a leadership role within an ERP Implementation environment
Working experience executing relevant business processes at the University of Washington or in a comparable higher education environment
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Application Process: The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.