Sr. Breeding Technician-1904367 We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team--especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. Forbes Magazine has recognized BASF as one of America's Best Diversity Employers in 2019. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens...
Sr. Breeding Technician - Acampo, CA - 1904367
Within processing tomato, assist the breeder to plan, monitor and provide input relating to the operational breeding process to ensure the long-term profitability and success of the breeding program.
Core Breeding Tasks:
* Assist in maintaining a safe, healthy and hygienic work environment. * Be skilled at making successful hybrid crosses in tomato, involving making emasculations and pollinations. * Understand types of selections and methods of seed harvest/extraction and become proficient at the different methods used in the program. * From a selection list provided by the breeder, assist in the correct harvesting and processing of tomato fruit through to packaging of the biomaterial, keeping track of progress and recording required data. * Learn and become competent in seed Inventory * Be comfortable with and competent in undertaking protocols in processing tomato fruit quality laboratory, assisting in accurate testing of fruit samples, collection of data and maintenance of equipment. * Grow and maintain healthy tomato plants in the greenhouse and net house according to a schedule provided by the breeder, from sowing through to seed harvest and termination of the crop. * Assist with monitoring of crop and modification of plant growing environment, including pest and disease scouting, to ensure optimum plant growth. * Understand planting plans and experimental designs provided by breeder for fields and greenhouses and assist with accurate transplanting. * (Infrequent) Travel to statewide trial locations to assist with planting and data collection, and to off-site industry field days, meetings and conferences for improvement of your understanding of the industry. * Assist with the supervision and training of temporary labor.
* Be proficient at working within the company's breeding database and related software. * Follow the required methods for collection, formatting and sharing of data. * Competently operate the Microsoft Office suite of software, especially Excel, for data collection, summarizing and reporting needs, and Outlook for communicating and scheduling.
* Coordinate with breeder regarding the scheduling of phenotyping needs. * Execute at the appropriate time and, as agreed with the breeder, in the appropriate way evaluations for identified phenotypic traits. * Accurately record data in a consistent way. Ensure rating scale is clear what each value indicates. For photography, ensure lighting is as consistent as possible. Evaluate at similar times of the day. * Where possible, utilize digital methods of phenotypic data collection (e.g. field tablets)
* Follow company protocol for accurate sampling and submission of biomaterial, as directed by the breeder, for seed health and GM Absence testing needs. Ensure resulting data is entered into the company database and associated with the correct biomaterial.
* From a list provided by the breeder, understand the biomaterial to be sampled and the trait-markers to be used. * Collect appropriate seed from inventory. Where possible, correctly sample seed for destructive testing and ensure correct phytosanitary procedures are followed for shipping. * As directed by breeder, sow and grow seedlings to sampling-size. Assist with tissue-sampling and shipment of material. Maintain healthy seedlings until results arrive. * Assist with seedling selection and transplanting according to choices made by breeder. Create required biomaterial in company database for entry of information into the plate generator for a genotyping project and assist when necessary with retrieval of results data for review by breeder.
* Working knowledge of horticultural practices and procedures * Basic knowledge of plant sciences, genetics, agronomy, and horticulture * Understanding of agricultural practices and the processing tomato Industry a plus
General Computer Skills:
* Organized and competent with file and data management * Able to perform basic data analysis * Competent using Microsoft Office software * Familiarity using data management systems, databases, spreadsheets
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You...
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. [email protected] is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you--the whole you--in all stages of your life and career. With [email protected] , you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You...
* High School Diploma or GED with 5 years experience in plant breeding OR Associate or B.S. in Horticulture, Agronomy or Plant Breeding with 1 year experience in plant breeding.
* Additional plant breeding courses * Experience in tomato breeding * Fluent in Spanish speaking * Experience in operating specialized breeding equipment * Valid CADPR PAC (Private Applicators Certificate) preferred, or willingness to attain certification
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BASF recognizes institutions of higher education accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
At BASF, we create chemistry – and have been doing so for 150 years. Our portfolio ranges from chemicals, plastics, performance products and crop protection products to oil and gas. As the world’s leading chemical company, we combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. Through science and innovation, we enable our customers in nearly every industry to meet the current and future needs of society. Our products and solutions contribute to conserving resources, ensuring nutrition and improving quality of life. We have summed up this contribution in our corporate purpose: We create chemistry for a sustainable future.