Responsibilities include conceptualizing, writing, and editing content that supports the department’s efforts to raise funds and to cultivate long-term loyalty and commitment of donors. Writing projects may include proposals, case statements, annual fund solicitations, stewardship pieces, alumni engagement, web content, brochures, articles, donor and patient stories, and acknowledgement letters. The Development Writer III will assist with the management of writing assignments and helps mentor junior faculty on writing for a donor audience (including substantive editing). Using familiarity of our faculty and research programs, provides a strategic voice to the development of communication materials.
Position Key Accountabilities:
1. Writes and designs proposals and stewardship reports for individual, foundation, or corporate donors in a style that is consistent with UTHealth’s voice.
2. Works with faculty, researchers, staff, and development officers to produce compelling proposals, alumni engagement, stewardship pieces, case statements, reports, stories, brochures, and solicitation letters.
3. Assists in managing writing assignments for the team to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposals, stories, and reports.
4. Provides proofing and substantive editing on a variety of communications from the Office of Development. Ensures writing follows the established Office of Development style guide.
5. Serves as team lead for program(s) and provides mentorship and feedback to junior writers.
6. Contributes to the strategy of development communications pieces. Has strong familiarity and knowledge of schools and research endeavors.
7. Develops content for a wide range of materials, including direct mail pieces, email communications, events, scripts/speeches, and social media posts.
8. Consults with project managers, development officers, event planners, and public affairs staff to develop communication materials for various fundraising efforts.
9. Keeps abreast of new developments and trends in development communications. Educate team members and clients on these new trends as appropriate. Assist with the updating of the Office of Development editorial style guide.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Internal Number: 190002RZ
About The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
As one of the most comprehensive health leaders in the Texas Medical Center, UT System and the U.S. Gulf Coast region, UTHealth offers health care professionals of all disciplines an outstanding work environment. Our talented researchers, educators, clinicians and professionals are committed to building healthier communities in Texas and around the world. While we take a multidisciplinary approach to care, each individual at UTHealth has the opportunity to make a difference by bringing expertise, innovative thinking and dedication to the challenge of advancing human health.