The Senior Director, Exposition Sales & Business Development will be an integral part of the team. They must be a strategic and critical thinker, proactively seek new sales opportunities, manage account development and existing client-relationships for specific accounts, with emphasis on gaining market share, increase revenue and grow exhibitor participation at the annual InfoComm USA trade show. The Senior Director, Exposition Sales & Business Development will develop new strategic relationships, negotiate contracts, write proposals and business plans, present AVIXA & InfoComm to potential clients, cultivate and maintain external relationships with new and existing customers, generate new leads, identify client needs and value-proposition selling, develop strategic partnerships, guide long-term objectives to achieve business goals, contact potential clients through cold calls, emails and in-person meetings, track new markets and emerging trends and identify new products and services. He/She will be required to collaborate with AVIXA’s leadership and various staff members within the association with the primary objective of growth. He/She must have prior experience, must successfully execute business goals, have a proven record of success growing the business and have the ability to positively influence to achieve results. He/She will work across multiple vertical markets as identified in AVIXA’s strategic plan to secure, retain and increase participation at InfoComm. He/She will work closely with the SVP and Director of Exposition Sales to identify key accounts that align with new growth initiatives provided in the AVIXA 5-year strategic plan. He/She must be able to collaborate with internal and external key stakeholders with strong interpersonal skills. He/She must be motivated, ambitious and possess exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal. He/She must have strong negotiation skills and they must be an analytical problem solver. He/She must have experience with managing direct report(s). This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Exposition & Event Services and will have one direct report.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
• Identify new opportunities to partner with manufacturers and companies to exhibit at InfoComm U.S. as to grow and increase overall exhibit space on an annual basis by 10%+.
• Cultivate and maintain relationships with new and existing customers to share business opportunities.
• Research and identify manufacturers and companies in new adjacent markets and/or categories as provided in the strategic plan and other areas within the proAV industry to exhibit, secure sponsorships and exhibitor meeting rooms and/or audio demo rooms at InfoComm.
• Develop new business initiatives to attract new customers.
• Measure efficacy of the business development program based on key KPIs, overall growth, conversion rate and cost of conversion.
• Prepare and deliver presentations to individuals and/or company executives and management teams to highlight business or marketing opportunities sharing business initiatives.
• Influence individual and/or company executives on the value of exhibiting, engaging and investing in InfoComm through in-person meetings, industry events, telemarketing and email communication efforts, including information about exhibits, sponsorships, exhibitor meeting rooms and audio demo rooms and the educational conference program.
• Create and prepare proposals and business plans outlining opportunities.
• Retain and build relationships with new and existing customer through digital communication campaigns, in-person and written communication in collaboration with marketing.
• Attend and participate in appropriate industry association functions, annual meetings, trade shows, conferences, competing markets and shows.
• Program specialist and presents business development program information at various industry events.
• Provide reports and updates on business development program progress on a weekly basis.
• Collaborate with internal team members to create marketing assets valuable for the promotion of the business development program.
• Manage and oversee direct report(s) within existing Exposition Sales organization reporting structure.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each responsibility satisfactorily including the following:
• Experience with leading and managing a team of direct reports
• Excellent relationship development and management skills to build both internal and external relationships
• Ability to plan strategically to develop and enact long-term growth strategies and focus on initiatives to grow the business.
• Identify areas of opportunity for operation enhancement for business development and collaboration within AVIXA.
• Demonstrated ability to manage new business account portfolio, perform in-line with association goals and achieve results.
• Lead effectively and successfully grow the business development program.
• Displays ability to be flexible, manage multiple priorities and stay highly organized; influence others; work well under pressure and meet sales goals.
• Demonstrated ability and versatility to work both independently as well as collaboratively with a team and others within an organization; self-directed problem solver.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills to prepare proposals and present ideas to executives to enhance business performance.
• Must show initiative and willing to collaborate to develop new opportunities, measure successes and deliver results.
• Knowledgeable of current trends in the exhibitions and events industry and important benchmarks to measure success of the program.
• Must maintain a positive, friendly professional attitude with a strong commitment to providing excellent customer service to internal stakeholders, members/non-members and vendors.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Sales and/or Marketing, Hospitality, or related field required.
• Minimum 10+ years of progressive experience in business development and sales and/or marketing in the exhibition or events industry is preferred.
• Ability to lead and manage a team of direct reports.
• Ability to deliver engaging presentations.
• Proven track-record of performance.
• Proficiency in software applications such as Salesforce CRM, Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint; experience or knowledge of enterprise systems and databases like Map Your Show, Salesforce, Concur and other management systems.
• Excellent communication skills, verbal and written communications skills and attention to detail.
• Must display the willingness to take on additional projects with growth of InfoComm.
Budget Responsibilities: Responsible for providing updates for the Microsoft Dynamics Budget software and managing expenses within the allocated budget. Processing and submitting company expenses through Sap Concur system.
Travel Requirement: Candidate will be required to travel approximately 40% of the time for the following purposes, to:
• Attend the annual InfoComm trade show
• Attend the annual ISE trade show
• Attend domestic and international industry events
• Travel to meet with clients
• Flexible to travel as required
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Analytical - Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflows and procedures.
Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control.
Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork - Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback.
Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market; Aligns work with strategic goals.
Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Sets goals and objectives. Professionalism & Respect- Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Follows through on commitments.
Adaptability - Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Initiative - Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities.
Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work
This description describes the general duties and responsibilities of the position. It is not a complete list of duties and the employee may be required to take on additional duties and responsibilities as required by the needs of the association.
EEO Policy Statement: It is the policy of AVIXA to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons, and to recruit, hire, train, promote, and compensate persons in all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.
Telecommuting is allowed.
AVIXA™ is the Audiovisual and Integrated Experience Association, producer of InfoComm trade shows around the world, co-owner of Integrated Systems Europe, and the international trade association representing the audiovisual industry. Established in 1939, AVIXA has more than 5,400 members, including manufacturers, systems integrators, dealers and distributors, consultants, programmers, live events companies, technology managers, content producers, and multimedia professionals from more than 80 countries. AVIXA members create integrated AV experiences that deliver outcomes for end users. AVIXA is a hub for professional collaboration, information, and community, and the leading resource for AV standards, certification, training, market intelligence and thought leadership. Additional information is available at avixa.org.