The University of Connecticut, Department of Procurement Services, seeks to hire an Information Technology (IT) Category Manager (UCP 9). Under the general direction of the University Director of Procurement Services and/or a designated administrator, the Procurement Services IT Category Manager is responsible for the administration and oversight of procurement activities for all technology related goods and services for all University of Connecticut campuses, including UConn Health in Farmington, CT.
As a senior level Procurement Specialist, the IT Services Category Manager is accountable for the performance, oversight, and management of all procurement strategies relating to the IT needs of the University including, but not limited to hardware, software, peripherals, support/consulting services, and other general IT related needs in support of the University community. Ideal candidate will possess extensive IT industry subject matter expertise and also be familiar with current technology, procurement trends and supply chain strategies. This position will require intimate knowledge of existing University policies and procedures, as well as knowledge and expertise required to manage the bidding process, negotiation of terms and conditions, creation of strategic plans pertaining to the needs of the University community, oversight of the procurement of goods and services; management of awards for the University community; and also serves as primary liaison between the campus community, Office of the CIO, and Procurement Services, and various vendors for all IT related matters.
Interested candidates must submit a letter of application, resume and contact information for three (3) professional references, including one reference from current place of employment. Please apply on-line using the University’s Husky Hire system at: http://jobs.uconn.edu. Please reference Job ID 2019565. Screening will begin immediately. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Business, Information Technology, or appropriate discipline, and a minimum of seven (7) years professional experience in procurement of materials/commodities in a comparable environment OR an equivalency of education and relevant experience which includes at least ten (10) years’ professional experience in procurement of materials/commodities in a comparable environment.
2. Extensive experience and proven ability to negotiate, administer, and supervise complex procurement activities and bidding process.
3. Experience in vendor relationship management, including oversight of vendor performance and contract compliance.
4. Advanced knowledge of accepted procurement practices as applicable to the IT industry.
5. Knowledge and understanding of State and Federal statutes, policies, procedures and guidelines.
6. Ability to assess organization’s needs, communicate those needs to the vendor community, and evaluate contracts to determine technical compliance.
7. Demonstrated ability to identify and resolve complex issues, effectively and independently.
8. Strong supervisory, leadership, organizational, project management and planning skills with the ability to meet deadlines and facilitate solutions in a fast-paced environment.
9. Strong interpersonal and persuasive skills with the ability to work effectively with all levels of employees across functional teams, as well as with and management.
10. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
11. Excellent computer skills with strong technical skills to work with multiple database programs including the Microsoft Office Suite.
12. Experience with and knowledge of automated procurement and/or financial systems (e.g. KFS, Jaggaer) and reporting tools (e.g. Web Focus).
13. Dependable transportation and ability to travel to all University campuses and/or visit vendors/firms in support of University initiatives.
14. Ability to perform all duties defined in lower levels of the Purchasing Agent series.
1. MBA or advanced degree in related discipline.
2. Extensive knowledge within varied IT technology and indirect spend categories.
3. Knowledge of University policies and procedures, Statutes and federal procurement regulations.
4. Strong analytical and financial skills.
5. Member of NAEP (National Association of Educational Procurement) or other relevant professional organizations.