Position Title: Dental Assistant - Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Classification Title: FT Staff Non Union
City/Campus: Detroit - Corktown
Department: Oral Surgery
Position Status: Full Time
This position assists in all aspects of patient care and some aspects of office support for faculty, resident and student providers in the Oral Surgery clinic.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Setting up and distributing surgical instruments, trays and materials necessary for each individual surgery or other procedure.
(2) Setup and breakdown of surgical operatories according to Infection Control/OSHA guidelines.
(3) Assure all providers follow proper Infection Control procedures/OSHA Guidelines and proper handling of bio-hazardous materials.
(4) Assure proper referrals, signed treatment plan, and other documentation is received and scanned into the record prior to treatment and that the patient has seen the cashier prior to treatment.
(5) Assist in the exposing, processing and mounting of digital radiographs.
(6) Assist in the proper ordering, receiving, distributing and disposal of materials and supplies.
(7) Assign patients to both student and resident practitioners using the student needs report to assure fair and equitable distribution of procedures and enter student as secondary provider in the axiUm schedule. Follow through on these assignments as necessary.
(8) Accurately assist in electronic documentation of patient treatment for records and billing purposes.
(9) Assist with patient care in other clinical area, as needed.
(10) Perform other duties within the dental school clinics, as assigned or requested.
High School Diploma/equivalent required.
2 years minimum chairside assisting with experience in surgical procedures.
If CDA/RDA/EFDA, only 1 year minimum chairside required.
Competent computer skills
Knowledge of and experience assisting with implant placement procedures.
Experience using an electronic health record and computerized scheduling preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Must be competent in dental terminology, surgical instrumentation, exposing, processing, and mounting digital radiographs including Panorex.
Must be able to move freely through out the clinic and perform essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Must have manual dexterity to perform all aspects of this position.
Busy Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery office within a busy academic setting.
Must have current CPR/BLS certification.
Must have current State of Michigan Radiology Certification.
Salary/Pay Information: Commensurate with experience
40 hours/week Mon – Fri between the hours of 8:00 am – 5:30 pm.
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: SF9943-TD001-0609-1180
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.