The Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinololgy is seeking a Research Scientist to facilitate efficient and cost-effective project management for the Endocrine Division Chief and The Endocrine Division. This includes project management of all/any projects that are under the purview of the Endocrine Division Chief that requiring PhD-level scientific expertise. Responsibilities will be both administrative and scientific in nature.
As the project manager, the person in this position will be expected to supervise personnel, assemble/manage interdisciplinary teams, obtain/manage resources, design/oversee/operationalize projects, comply with safety and regulatory requirements, and communicate progress/results/outcomes. Hence, this position is responsible for higher-level project development, oversight, and coordination including implementation and management of systems and standard operating procedures. Importantly, included among these activities, is compliance with federally-mandated regulations regarding the responsible conduct of research, authentication of resources, rigor, and transparency.
This candidate in this position will serve as a critical liaison between scientific and administrative staff.
Examples of responsibilities including the following:
1) Research coordination: participating in regular meeting with faculty/staff, communicating with both internal and external interdisciplinary collaborators , conducting scientific experiments and data analysis for both internal and external interdisciplinary collaborative projects, managing/overseeing core scientific services, managing databases and tracking of scientific activities;
2) Research compliance: MTAs, IACUC protocols/approvals, IRB protocols/approvals, Environmental Health and Safety inspections/approvals, tracking and authentication of resources including cells and animals;
3) Research: perform and oversee experiments, develop protocols and methodologies;
4) Administration: write letters, manuscripts, and grants involving both internal and external interdisciplinary collaborators;
5) Training: intake and oversight of trainees at all levels.
Degree in related field of study. Experience with writing and administering grants from internal and external sources. Experience with regulations and requirements related to the responsible conduct of research.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values equality of opportunity, human dignity, and diversity. EEO/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled.
Background Check: For position finalists, employment with the University will require successful completion of a background check
Child Protection Clearances: Not Applicable
Required Documents: Resume
Optional Documents: Cover Letter
Internal Number: 19008857
About University of Pittsburgh
Founded in 1787, the same year the U.S. Constitution was signed, the University of Pittsburgh is one of the oldest institutions of higher education in the United States. One of three state-related research universities in Pennsylvania, Pitt is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), which comprises 62 preeminent doctorate-granting research institutions in North America.Pitt faculty members have expanded knowledge in the humanities and sciences, earning such prestigious honors as the National Medal of Science, the MacArthur Foundation’s “genius” grant, the Lasker-DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award, and election to the National Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Medicine. Pitt scientists have defeated polio, unlocked the secrets of DNA, lead the world in organ transplantation, and pioneered TV and heavier-than-air flight, among numerous other accomplishments.Pitt students have earned Rhodes, Goldwater, Marshall, and Truman Scholarships, among other highly competitive national and international scholarships.Alumni have pioneered MRI and TV, won Nobel and Pulitzer Prizes, led corporations and universities, served in government and the military, conquered Hollywood and The New York Times bestsellers list, and won Super Bowls and NBA championships.