Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle’s Transportation Business Line is currently seeking a Human Factors Research Leader/Program Manager. This position located in Arlington, VA.
Typical job functions include:
* Manage several IDIQ contract vehicles across FHWA, NHTSA and FMCSA, including program oversight/execution, proposal capture/development, subcontractor oversight/relationship management, and client relationship management.
* Provide support, leadership and management to on-going projects in the areas of human factors, driver behavior, driver performance, vehicle automation, and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS).
* Actively engage in outstanding technical research to maintain and develop Battelle’s transportation business line offerings and reputation.
* Contribute substantively to planning and executing marketing and project development activities in the in the areas of transportation operations, human factors, driver behavior, and driver performance.
* Routinely conceive and develop new projects.
* Train, mentor and lead other staff.
* Provide competent technical advice to management.
* Assist line management in evaluating the technical performance of other staff.
* Work with management to develop facilities required to support specific technical/business development objectives.
* Proactively communicate with clients to ensure they are an integral part of the project for clarification of requirement and regular assessment of implementation progress.
* Build client relationships to sustain and expand business opportunities.
* Influence client opinion on future program direction. Influence customer’s business plans and priorities.
* Identify high growth/value opportunities for Battelle with clients and establish opportunity development capture plans.
* Position Battelle to win follow on-programs.
* Contribute to the overall business development and proposal activities including the formulation of a win strategy and the establishment of the appropriate teaming partners in collaboration with Business Development Staff.
* Establish review procedures to ensure that proposed technical work can be accomplished as described within proposed cost, time and quality constraints. Coordinates the selection of proposal team member organizations (strategic partners, sub-contractors, universities, product lines, etc.) and the efforts of the proposal team to formulate an offering that persuasively presents the project approach that meets the client needs and documents the value created for the client by this approach at a competitive price.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
* Master’s degree in Engineering or other field related to Human Factors and a minimum of 10 years’ experience in the transportation industry, with at least 7 directly with USDOT
* Demonstrated experience managing program/projects of $1M or greater value.
* Demonstrated experience managing geographically dispersed team
* Demonstrated understanding of surface transportation policy, planning, operations, and/or management activities, as they relate to Human Factors
* Extensive experience working proposals and supporting business development efforts
* Excellent Communications skills
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
* PhD in Engineering or other relevant field
* Demonstrated experience managing IDIQ contract vehicles for USDOT
* Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
Telecommuting is allowed.
Additional Salary Information: BENEFITS
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
Internal Number: TBD
Battelle is the world’s largest independent not-for-profit research and development (R&D) organization, operating at the forefront of scientific discovery for nearly 90 years. Battelle's vision is to be a major force in science and technology discovery and in the translation of knowledge into innovative applications that have significant societal and economic impacts.Steel industrialist Gordon Battelle provided for the Battelle Memorial Institute in his 1923 last will and testament after a career devoted to the idea that science and research can solve problems in business and society as a whole. His vision became our mission when we opened our doors six years later.