Parsons School of Design, a college of The New School, invites applications for a renewable term Assistant Professor of Emerging Photographic Technologies position in the School of Art, Media and Technology.
We seek candidates with expertise in the practice, history, and theory of photography and related genres. We are particularly interested in candidates who bring critical and experimental perspectives on emerging photographic technologies, working in the realms of computation, data mapping, machine vision, and immersive and interactive environments. Candidates must have knowledge across contemporary approaches, concepts, techniques, and critical issues as they pertain to the range of practices that are associated with photography and related media. The New School is committed to actively recruiting from a diverse pool of applicants. We encourage candidates from groups underrepresented in US higher education or underrepresented in the field to apply.
The work of this faculty member is divided between (1) teaching, (2) university service, and (3) scholarship or professional/creative practice. The standard teaching load is five courses––or the equivalent––per academic year, including at least one core curriculum course. Within their field of expertise, the faculty member may be expected to teach First Year and undergraduate as well as graduate courses, to majors and non-majors. They will hold regular office hours, and participate in extracurricular teaching activities such as critiques, review panels, thesis supervision, independent study, and advising. University service includes program, Parsons, and New School assignments on committees and task forces, and as program directors with a reduced teaching load. All faculty are expected to be engaged with scholarship or professional/creative practice at a level commensurate with their faculty rank.
This faculty position is a Renewable Term Appointment (RTA). RTA faculty hold renewable, multi-year contracts and are responsible for teaching, academic administration, and providing expertise in their fields or professions. The terms and conditions of this faculty appointment are governed by The New School policies set forth in the The New School Full-Time Faculty Handbook.
- The New School is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive learning environment. We actively seek candidates whose experiences, teaching philosophies, or scholarly practice prepare them to expand and contribute to that commitment; and who have a record of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional training and aesthetic sensibilities.
- A bachelor's degree is required. Highly preferred is a graduate degree in a field germane to the position, or professional experience that is equivalent to a graduate degree in the field.
- At least 1 year of experience teaching at the college level.
- At least 3 years of active research, scholarship, or creative/professional practice in the field as demonstrated by a body of scholarship or a record of creative/professional accomplishments, and an ability to connect with external or community partners to develop collaborative projects and initiatives.
- A strong interest in shaping the school and evolving your own profile in response to broader social, cultural, economic, and technological forces.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team. Strong interest in working collaboratively with faculty and students across Parsons and the University.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines and communicate effectively.
- Experience teaching English language learners and students from underrepresented communities, and/or scholarship in diversity and inclusion. - Evidence of community, academic, or professional leadership. - University teaching that includes a combination of core studios, seminars and tutorials, at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
The final decision to hire is subject to budget approval by the Office of the Provost. Applicants for faculty positions must apply online using the faculty application on The New School human resources website http://careers.newschool.edu. Applicants may be contacted at the discretion of the search committee for additional materials, such as digital portfolio/work samples.
The New School does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, creed, sex or gender (including gender identity and expression), pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, religious practices, mental or physical disability, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, veteran status, marital or partnership status, or any other legally protected status.
Review of applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Please visit www.parsons.edu/academics for a full list of programs.
Internal Number: 18011
About The New School
The New School, a leading university in downtown New York City, offers degree and nondegree academic programs in design, the social sciences, the liberal arts, management, the arts, and media. Students benefit from small classes, superior resources, and renowned faculty members who practice what they teach. Continuing education courses and public programs place the university at the center of New York’s cultural and intellectual life.