Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions.
The Business Administration Department includes a variety of degrees and certificates in the areas of Business Leadership, General Business, Accounting, Culinary Arts, Tourism and Hospitality Management, Fashion Merchandising and Marketing, Automotive Technology, and Technical Studies. The department strives to meet the needs of all students interested in obtaining an education in these areas and is focused on preparing business leaders, professionals, and entrepreneurs for successful careers. Many of our students transfer to some of the best business schools in the Philadelphia area while others move directly into new jobs or progress in their current career paths. In addition to our newly developed AAS Business Leadership degree and Business Leadership proficiency certificate, we offer a first-year experience course with a business leadership focus. This position will play a key role in further developing our business leadership programs and teaching in this area.
The Business Administration department invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position for the 2020-2021 academic year.
• Teach Business Leadership courses to students with a broad range of career interests.
• Help community college students further develop their Business Leadership skills, professional attitudes and behaviors, for college and workplace success.
• Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course's standard course outline as a guide.
• Work with other faculty and administrators in developing program curriculum, standards, and policies, including reviewing and participating in textbook selection process where appropriate.
• Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
• Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with FERPA regulations and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
• Meet all classes and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours and meetings at the designated times.
• Receive training or stay current in technological or pedagogical advances that promote student learning, including learning and using Publisher's software when applicable.
•Develop and maintain working relationships with Philadelphia business industry/workforce.
• Serve on standing and ad hoc committees, advisory boards, hiring committees, or as a student organization advisor.
• Demonstrate a sense of connection and responsibility for helping the College to achieve success through a commitment to its mission, vision, and values.
• Actively participate in the academic life of the College; including participation in graduation, recruitment events, general assemblies, student life activities and other cross functional teams. Create learning opportunities for students inside and outside of the classroom including opportunities to teach dual-enrollment high school students.
• Communicate effectively, share vision, focus on people, initiate positive change, value differences and foster collaboration. Work with and inspire others to achieve college, department, and individual success. Proactively identify/address problems.
• Establish an inclusive environment in the classroom. Demonstrate an understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of the College's faculty, staff and students.
• Participation in continual assessment and course updates to ensure excellence in meeting program and student learning outcomes.
• Strive for excellence in teaching, applying best practices in field of discipline, and modeling behaviors that encourage student success and retention. Utilize innovative teaching strategies and technologies for online learning and other technology tools to meet the learning needs of a diverse student population. Maintain office hours to meet with students outside of the classroom and respond to questions or concerns.
• Commitment to professional learning and growth, student mentoring, and service to the profession. Remain current in the use of technology, developments within the field of discipline, and developments related to teaching and student success.
• Master's degree in organizational leadership, human resources, business communication or other disciplines taught in a business school setting (e.g. administration, marketing, management, accounting, finance, operations, hospitality), or a related degree with 18 graduate credit hours in the above areas.
• Candidates with a business-oriented master's degree must have at least 3 years of leadership experience. Candidates with a leadership-oriented master's degree must have at least 3 years of business experience. A minimum of 5 years work experience in business or leadership positions is required, including 2 years of post-master's work experience. Leadership experience must include the strategic leadership of a business unit or organization at the level of manager or above.
• At least 2 years of recent college or university level teaching experience in the subject area.
• Ability to deliver required, predefined course elements, while drawing from own knowledge and experiences to engage students and make the course one's own.
• Six or more years of work experience in business and leadership positions.
• Broad knowledge or awareness of business professions in multiple business disciplines.
Work Location Main Campus
Special Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Names and contact information of 3 professional referenced REQUIRED.
• Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
Community College of Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally under-represented groups. AA/EOE.
Salary Grade or Rank Rank 5 or Rank 6
Position Type Faculty
Employment Status Full-Time
Internal Number: 113198503
About Community College of Philadelphia
Community College of Philadelphia is the largest public institution of higher education in the City. Since 1965, over 500,000 students have passed through our doors seeking associate's degrees, certificates, improved workplace skills and lifelong learning. Many of our degree students transfer to four-year institutions while others seek employment in the Philadelphia region. Over 90 percent of our graduates remain in the area and seek employment, strengthening our local economy and workforce. Local businesses look to us to provide workplace training to keep their workers skilled and their companies competitive.
We offer over 70 degree and certificate programs in art, science, business, technology and liberal arts. Many of our students have hectic schedules, and we know how to accommodate every type of learner. Classes are held during the day, in the evening and on Saturdays at the Main Campus, our three Regional Centers and at neighborhood sites throughout the City. Distance education classes are also available.