1) Work with Polsky Exchange members to understand their prototyping needs
2) Mentor members through the design process
3) Teach user training classes and demonstrations
4) Design new workshops to fit expanding member interests
5) Design and revise Fab Lab processes to improve the member experience, efficiency, and safety
6) Assist with all aspects of the daily operations of the Fab Lab, including organization and machine maintenance
7) Track and communicate Fab Lab usage
8) Create work using Fab Lab equipment to provide examples of process and results
9) Tell the story of the Fab Lab and our members through tours, displays, presentations, and other forms of documentation
10) Coordinate all 3D printing on the professional-grade printers
11) Attend Polsky and ecosystem events
1) Demonstrated expertise in digital fabrication and prototyping, including one or or more of the following areas: 2D Design Software; 3D Design/CAD Software; Low-fidelity prototyping; 3D Printing; Laser Cutting; CNC Routing; Woodworking; Vinyl Cutting; Electronics and microcontrollers (Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc.)
2) Excellent in-person and written communication and presentation skills
3) Strong curiosity and creativity; eagerness to learn by doing and from failure
4) Attention to detail, strong initiative, professional demeanor
5) Ability to work effectively and diplomatically with colleagues, as well as with students, faculty, staff, and community members.
6) Eagerness to participate in Polsky Exchange workshops and local fabrication community
7) Curiosity about prototyping, innovation and entrepreneurship
1) College-level courses and proven experience in design, fabrication, prototyping, and/or engineering. Bachelorâ™s degree
2) Cover Letter
3) Portfolio (Recommended)
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Internal Number: JR05713
About University of Chicago
One of the world's premier academic and research institutions, the University of Chicago has driven new ways of thinking since our 1890 founding. Today, UChicago is an intellectual destination that draws inspired scholars to our Hyde Park and international campuses, keeping UChicago at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change the world.